Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
NOW someone needs a timer! BUT they don't want a timer made in CHINA!! Where will I find this?? I have called all the places I know around here. Sure, needs timer but not bad enough to look for one that isn't made anymore. All these places tell me that people don't want to pay the cost of having it made here. Does this make sense? Complain because no work but don't want to do what normally we all could do. Sorry to sound annoyed. Only want to keep this person happy so i can be happy. To me any timer would do China or no China. I just use the clock on the wall. Thanks for your thoughts. They always help me. Remember I asked about the popcorn popper they ret urned that cause it wasn't from here. I want to give up but this person really has helped me in the past and I do appreciat e it. Guess they have their good points. I don't blame you if you think this is waste of time.

I have no idea where you would find something like that ITK. I think you might just have to go and look at the bottom of every timer in the stores. Good luck!

Right

Thanks for your response. I really have a challenge on my hands. If I am fortunate enough to locate it, I will surely let you know. Local cooking school here told me to search on Internet. I told her I had done that already. If anyone would like to find popcorn popper made in USA contact Whirlypop here in the states. Program Unwrapped had segment where to find it. This was in January, after Christmas. I understand the reasoning and wish I would be the same way. To stick to your principles and try to make difference. Thanks again.

Well, ITK - not knowing where you live (you didn't post your location info in your profile) makes it a little harder to help you. Due to import/export laws - what I might be able to find may not be available in your country.

Regardless of where it is assembled - I'll bet any timer you buy will have some components made in China.

I could use a little help here also. I looking for a count UP type timer, like a stop watch used in running track and field events. It would be a dial type stop watch. Has anyone seen these? if so where...
:)

I have a West Bend 3-way timer that I got at Wal-Mart for $8. If you don't set a time, but, just hit the start button, it will count up.

Help

I do appreciate all your opinions and thank you for it. Michael in FT Worth
I live in St Louis Missouri. In the middle of this big country and looking for something so important but yet unnecessary that it be made in this country. They went to Wal Mart and bought the popcorn popper which stated USA on the box and when they opened it the popper itself was China. I did research all the Google and will try to see about eBay although I feel apprehensive about it since they are reporting people experiencing loss. I share their pain as it happens to all of us. Our faith starts to diminish with disappointment. I will still check to see about this if they state USA. One of the top sellers of the Ford automobile was on the radio and voiced his disapproval of all the plants closing. He has been selling Fords for 48 years! Never thought they would close the Ford plant here. How people are allowing this to happen does provoke my family to get upset when they see this change. They say this is 'free country' but when I see my gas bill, I feel different. These are my personal opinions and please don't get offended if i share my frustration with all of you. I'll get over it.
AllenMI-so you got it at Wal Mart? Was it made in USA? West Bend haven't seen them to much. Really the brand doesn't matter just USA
Thank you all for you interest. They would be happy to hear this.

Last edited:
Caine

That was fast. You sure this is USA made? They got cheated going to WalMart and this happens again if I spend their money I better be right. Have you had any products from the company?

Thanks again.

Best kitchen timer we ever had was a wind-up one made in Japan. It felt like solid metal, had a heavy, very sturday feel to it, had a long loud ring, and had a strong magnet built into the back. It was nicely designed too. We stuck it on the range hood, where it never got misplaced. Sadly when I moved out of the house, my mom wouldn't part with it (but she was willing to part with me) :rolleyes:.

Then I bought this light-weight timer from Starbucks in the form of a Starbucks coffee cup. It was so cute on the kitchen counter but it conked out after two uses. It was made in China. And so were the two other timers I've bought since. Luckily the last one is still holding out. I'm always in search of that Japan-made timer. But all timers I see now in the market are made in ... guess? China.

Thanks for the replay but what I want is a stop watch, I have looked at Wal-Mart with no luck.As far as made in the good old USA thing I do not care where it is made, after all America can't afford to make some thing here that can be produced cheaper elsewhere.That's why we still do not work at are entry level jobs any more.

ITK, "West Bend" company is from Wisconsin, but, the timer itself was made in China.

Guts, have you thought about just buying a digital stopwatch? Those should be fairly cheap, and available at any sporting goods store/department.

AllenMI
I am going to a BIG5 sporting goods store to day. I can't even find them online, so far. All the school coaches had them, when I was in school. Just not looking in the right place I guess.Thanks for the reply I will let you know if they do not have them, sure hope they do, I like to use a count UP type when i BBQ stakes and also deep fry things like shrimp.

No mechanical stop watches at the sporting goods store... The serch is on...

Last edited:
ITK: Okay - now I know what you are looking for. The problem is I don't know if there is such an animal anymore. RE: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maverick Industries, Inc.- while they are a New Jersey based distributor of Cooking Thermometers & Timers, etc. - it doesn't mean their products are made in the USA from 100% USA produced parts. When it comes to electronics - I can't think of one company that even if assembled in the USA uses 100% USA produced parts. I could send you a schematic to build your own timer - but I've been through 6 electronics parts catalogs and can't find the parts to make it that are 100% American made.[/FONT]

GUTS: you might look here for a bunch of mechanical stopwatch sources.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW
Thank you for the link! That is what I'm looking for. I could not find a all Mechanical any where, I will order one this week and Thank you again for your help!
Kim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom