Titanium Ceramic Pots and Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,

Today I saw a set of pots and pans made of titanium ceramic mix. They have metal handles but come with rubber attachments to grab. The package was about $480 and came with several pans and pots, with a bonus feature of several other pans. The demonstrater put one of the pans, unsprayed onto a heating element. He then put some canned skimmed milk on it and allowed it to burn then took some plastic and put it on the side of the pan while cooking. The milk burned and plastic melted. To wipe it off, he used 1 piece of paper towel and that was it. It looked absolutely amazing to me. It had a stainless steel bottom.

I was unsure about it since I like using stainless steel pots and pans, ideally with copper bottoms, or cast iron pots and pans for Asian cooking.

Has anyone else purchased these? I don't want to buy $480 of something that will wear out quickly, which is what I'm worried about. It's not Teflon coated.

I completely forget. It was sold at a Costco store as one of those sampler venues. I also thought it was all smoke-n-mirrors. It impressed me but I was thinking that it doesn't sound right and is way too good to be true. There was a 25 yr warranty which also confused me. Either way, I'm sticking to stainless steel, copper bottom and cast iron. No teflon nor titanium ceramic. I remember the salesman saying it's "new space-age technology" which made me laugh in his face.

The one thing about Costco though is that their return policy is second to none... You could go buy those pots and pans for like 6 months and then still bring them back for a full refund.. If you think they look good , give it a shot :)

This site - Titanium Cookware - Analon, Aluminum & Ceramic Sets - says they're not very good quality, or at least, that's what I got from it.

<quote>
Much of what is labeled titanium cookware is actually aluminum cookware that used titanium in the hard-anodizing process or in a ceramic-titanium plasma that is fused to the surface to form an abrasion-resistant matrix for a nonstick coating.

Pros and Cons of Pure Titanium Cookware

Titanium is strong, hard, and lightweight. This means titanium pots and pans can be constructed of thin sheet metal. The downside is that this thinness, combined with the poor heat conductivity, means that the titanium cookware can warp and dent. The poor conductivity in titanium pots and pans also means you can scorch foods, resulting in hard-to-remove char (manufacturers advise boiling water in the pan and scouring with a nylon scrubber).
<end quote>

ScanPan pots and pans use the ceramic/titanium matrix as their cooking surface. Try doing a google-search for SacnPan reviews. I know that titanium is absolutely corosion proof, and is used by at least one knife manufaturer in a blend of tetanium and ceramic to form a knife that is tougher than ceramic, but holds an edge better than titanium. It is from a high-quality specialty knive company.

Titanium is miraculous stuff, when used within its property-strength profile. But I'm not sold that it's lends itself well to cooking.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't know about titanium cookware but I know that titanium is very strong and lightweight as my teen son has a titanium bar in his chest which is correcting a chest defect. My concern when buying very expensive cookware would be to make sure it's made by a proven company that's been around a while. How do they handle problems or issues with defective items. After all, a 25 year guarantee is worth nothing if the company goes out of business a year from now. Also, I usually buy 1 item first and try it out before I commit to a premium brand because personal preference is a huge factor in how pleased we are with our cooking implements. If I invest a lot of money in an item, I want to be happy with it.

If you really liked these pans, see if they have open stock or if you can buy just one piece. If not, find out the brand name and google it to read some reviews. Good luck in finding the perfect cookware for your kitchen!

Terry

nonstick coastings

I did a lot of research before buying my current nonstick pans, and a lot of high-end cookware manufacturers use titanium-ceramic mixes for their nonstick coatings. Although I don't have a complete set of cookware that's nonstick, I love my frypans, which are by a company called Fissler. They use their own titanium-ceramic mix which is quite durable, and it was rated highest in Germany in a comparison test of high-end European cookware, plus they're still made in Germany (high-quality manufacturing). I ended up choosing my pan, called Fissler Alux, because of the test rating and a friend's recommendation after using his pans for years with very little wear. I bought mine in a specialty shop, but I just noticed that they're on amazon now. You might check out the company's website, it's Fissler USA. I would certainly check ratings of the cookware that you're considering, tests are a useful tool!

Well I've had my pots and pans for a while. I avoid teflon coated stuff and am a fan of stainless steel. The Fissler products look simply amazing. I'm in no shortage of pots and pans (have too many probably) but wanted to try something new. The Fissler products do look nice but am not sure.

I did a lot of research before buying my current nonstick pans, and a lot of high-end cookware manufacturers use titanium-ceramic mixes for their nonstick coatings. Although I don't have a complete set of cookware that's nonstick, I love my frypans, which are by a company called Fissler. They use their own titanium-ceramic mix which is quite durable, and it was rated highest in Germany in a comparison test of high-end European cookware, plus they're still made in Germany (high-quality manufacturing). I ended up choosing my pan, called Fissler Alux, because of the test rating and a friend's recommendation after using his pans for years with very little wear. I bought mine in a specialty shop, but I just noticed that they're on amazon now. You might check out the company's website, it's Fissler USA. I would certainly check ratings of the cookware that you're considering, tests are a useful tool!
were they in that rating , compared to eurolux and woll nowo "both german made as well titanium cookware "?

I have a Sanyo rice cooker...one of those fuzzy logic things that cooks five kinds of rice ten kinds of ways, and it also doubles as a (small, 5c) slow cooker. The cooking vessels (came with two, one for rice and one for slow cooking), have that anodized titanium coating, so I suppose the food never actually comes into contact with the aluminum. The rice pot also has a more traditional non-stick coating on the insisde. If the anodized titanium coating was all that and a bag of chips, I don't think Sanyo would be spending money on an additional coat of teflon. I still use a bit of coconut oil in the rice cooker, which makes everything totally non-stick, healthy and tasty. I'm still using All-Clad saucepans and carbon steel or cast iron for all other things stovetop, with the exception of an old stainless steel pressure cooker on occasion. If I believe the manufacturers, everything I have in my kitchen was a miracle in its' day, and probably still should be, but they just look like pots and pans to me. Oh, and just a thought...titanium cookware probably ain't so hot on an induction cooktop.

Back
Top Bottom