"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Head Chef

Tomato Press (hand-cranked vs electric)

I have a hand cranked tomato press.
It works ok, I was just wondering if an electric one is better, more efficient , worth the price ??

Larry

Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
It works ok, I was just wondering if an electric one is better, more efficient , worth the price ??

Larry
It depends on how many times you use it in a month. If you frequently use it for a lot of tomatoes, then go for it. Do you only use it for "in season" fresh tomatoes, or do you use it all year round.

I had a sewing machine. It was great for sewing a hem on a spread, or on extra long curtains. But that was only once or twice I year I used it. I ended up giving it to one of my kids. He uses it all the time. For me, it wasn't worth the money I spent on it. For my son, it was worth every cent. He has the room, I didn't.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post

Larry

Larry, how does a tomato press differ from a food mill?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That depends. How many tomato bushes did you plant.

I have a hand crank food mill and a cone shaped Chinois with a wooden pestle. I think the Chinois looks cooler on the counter, makes me think I "know" what I am doing. It takes up a lot of storage space. It has finer holes so that's the one I use for either deseeding raspberries for sauces and tomatoes. That's all I think I ever use them for.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Larry, how does a tomato press differ from a food mill?
The tomato press uses a mesh that doesn't let the seeds through. With a food mill, the seeds would get in the puree.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The tomato press uses a mesh that doesn't let the seeds through. With a food mill, the seeds would get in the puree.

It is my understanding that a food mill separates the pulp and juices from the seeds and skins.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tomato Press (hand-cranked vs electric)

Thanks for the mention of the chinois for raspberries, Whiska. I've been digging raspberry seeds out of my teeth for days, and I don't have enough for cordial.

I've used it for tomatoes too. Takes a bit of elbow grease.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It is my understanding that a food mill separates the pulp and juices from the seeds and skins.
With a food mill, most of the skin will stay in the mill, but a few small pieces will usually get cut by the holes and go through. Some of the seeds will stay behind, but the holes are big enough to let most of them through. I was under the same impression as you before I tried it, using the plate with the smallest holes.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #9
Head Chef

Not sure of the exact differences. Ive see similar things called either or. I do have a hand cranked food mill, that ultimately gets the job done. I was just wondering if something electric driven is more efficient. I don't do it year round, but as all you gardeners know ( at least in the NE, July, August and September i'm sure doing enough, that if i can find something easier, more convenient and efficient, then it would be worth it to me, and I'd be willing to invest in it.

Ive seen(and have ) the hand cranked kind that the tomatoes get squished in under the rotating blade, and the juice/ pulp therefore gets pressed against a preselected screen ( with various sized holes). After each batch, have to scoop out all the skins, seeds ...

Online, I saw a hand cranked one where you place the tomatoes in , and as you crank it, the pulp/ juice comes out one side, as the skin and seeds come out the other side.

And also one similar to above where the pulp juice comes out one end, and the skin and seeds out the other. It basically looks like one of those expensive juicers which leads me to wonder if just getting a juicer would do a similar job.

larry
Old 06-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Larry--I have one of these:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...-tomato-press/

We plant 300 tomato plants (about 2500 lb worth). I don't use it for anything else. I don't find the cranking is tiresome. I run the tomato pulp back through it 3 x. I love mine. It is easy to clean (comes apart, plastic parts go in the upper tray of the dishwasher). Unless you plan on using it throughout the year or need it for commercial purposes, I'd say no to an electric one. The result is not the same as running the tomatoes through a juicer.

I hate my food mill. I never use it. It is too much bother to clean.

Tags
electric, tomato