Tomato Slicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
No matter how hard I try, how slow I go, I can never get my tomato slices to be all the same thickness or end up with a straight cut. So I went to Amazon and bought the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Easy-S...&qid=1397914982&sr=8-1&keywords=tomato+slicer

I have a few tomatoes on the vine and decided to try my new slicer out. I removed the stem bud and put the slicer to work. I am going to be eating a lot of slices of tomato. I hate single purpose appliances, and I tried to slice a hard boiled egg. Perfection! I am sure I will find other purposes for this nifty little tool. I hate dragging the mandolin for slicing. And I hate cleaning it even worse. Watch out slicer, BLT's, here I come. :angel:

You have tomato's already? I just bought the small plants to put in the garden! I also have veggie and herb seeds just now sprouting.
Do you have a greenhouse?

I have little issue with slicing anything. I have an extremely sharp knife that does the trick every time.
But if this helps you achieve your goal of perfect slices, go for it. Glad you found another use for it too!

Let me know how that works.

I use a freshly honed straight edge knife OR a serrated blade knife. I find the key is a sawing motion and not pushing down to much. I have been lucky and get my slices pretty even except for the last slice which comes out a bit thicker because I am a chicken! LOL

You have tomato's already? I just bought the small plants to put in the garden! I also have veggie and herb seeds just now sprouting.
Do you have a greenhouse?

I have little issue with slicing anything. I have an extremely sharp knife that does the trick every time.
But if this helps you achieve your goal of perfect slices, go for it. Glad you found another use for it too!

They are from the supermarket. I buy the one with part of the vine still attached.

This tool makes all the slices the same width. Perfect for a burger or BLT. Something I have always had a problem with. Most of the time I end up with a crooked cut. The top is thin, the bottom thick. Certainly not my best skill. :angel:

I always wished I had the tomato slicer found in restaurant kitchens. This looks like a mini version that wouldn't take up so much space.

I had, until recently, one of these - even slices all the way.

il_570xN_350233009.jpg

My grandmother bought it at the Ideal Homes Exhibition. Sadly it gave up the ghost not long ago. The handle fell off and then the blades broke. Still, not a bad investment as it was bought in 1957!

This is the original thread, you replied in the "Bread with a Meal" thread...:rolleyes:

Bread with a meal? :ohmy:
Say what?

Didn't addie have a pic of her slicer right in her original post? Now I just see a link.
Or did she double post and I didn't see this one until today?

I hate being confused. :wacko:

Bread with a meal? :ohmy:
Say what?

Didn't addie have a pic of her slicer right in her original post? Now I just see a link.
Or did she double post and I didn't see this one until today?

I hate being confused. :wacko:

There is a link to Amazon with a picture of the slicer in the middle of my post. No, you are not going mad. :angel:

Fi, I just went through the whole Bread/Meal thread and did not see my reply to Addies slicer thread.

Addie, I know I replied to your thread. And for reasons unknown to me, the pic was right there. I did not click on a link to see the slicer you bought. I mentioned that I would have bought a mandolin for a little more as it was even more of a multi-tasker.

Must be one of those "unique" DC things...

Fi, I just went through the whole Bread/Meal thread and did not see my reply to Addies slicer thread.

Addie, I know I replied to your thread. And for reasons unknown to me, the pic was right there. I did not click on a link to see the slicer you bought. I mentioned that I would have bought a mandolin for a little more as it was even more of a multi-tasker.

I remember seeing that post.

Here is your slicing post!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/bread-with-your-meal-89561-9.html#post1358230

As my kids used to say, "I don't know where it went. It jistdippeared." I have a mandolin. But It is a pain INTA to used sometimes. In fact I am going to give it to my son as he will use it more than I have. Living alone, I don't want to make a production to prepare food for myself. Nowadays I only used my KA to make a cake or some food for my kids. If it is small, and fits in my hands, than I am more likely to use it. My mandolin takes up counter space when I use it. And my counters are a couple of inches too high for me to use with comfort. I always have to use my stool to do work in the kitchen. I am 4'8" and think I have shrunk even more. I am not going to die. I am going to shrink away. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom