Tomato Slicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In either case it was in the wrong thread :LOL:

BTW, I remembered what I wanted a melon baller for...
For when I made those Baltimore coddies that you eat on a saltine.
Okay, next time you want to buy a melon baller and can't remember why, ask us or do an advanced search for "melon baller" and that was posted by you.

hmmm, advanced search...
I did an Advanced Search this morning for that bean recipe. I used my name (of course) and the words: bean hole beans. How much more direct can you get? I think I got 11 pages of crap. The AS doesn't appear to be as effective as it once was.
So I'll just ask you what I wanted a melon baller for if I forget again :LOL:

..I use a freshly honed straight edge knife OR a serrated blade knife...
The sharper the better to slice, right? I regularly sharpen my 4" Henkels Zwilling paring knife since I use it for practically everything. I'm a bit clumsy with cutlery and a bigger knife can cause problems. :ohmy: Anyway, I use that knife for slicing/chopping tomatoes and cutting up eggs - all without smashing a thing.

Out of all tomato slicers that I have ever seen on the market the only one that works is a commercial food processor and cost probably in the area of 5 to 15K, depending on how fancy you want to go. None of the store bought stuff rally works, at least not for me.

I had, until recently, one of these - even slices all the way.

My grandmother bought it at the Ideal Homes Exhibition. Sadly it gave up the ghost not long ago. The handle fell off and then the blades broke. Still, not a bad investment as it was bought in 1957!

MC, I thought that looked familiar, so I rummaged through a gadget drawer, and found one exactly like it, but with a wooden handle, that I inherited from some unknown source many years ago. I had no idea what it was for.

image-3985637447.jpg

Last edited:
I think my mother has one of those. She brought it with her from Soviet Union. It is probably not as old as the one MC showed. I bet it is only from early 60's.

I had, until recently, one of these - even slices all the way.

View attachment 21139

My grandmother bought it at the Ideal Homes Exhibition. Sadly it gave up the ghost not long ago. The handle fell off and then the blades broke. Still, not a bad investment as it was bought in 1957!

===================
these are still available in our supermarket. made in China, likely not to last quite so long . . .

===================
these are still available in our supermarket. made in China, likely not to last quite so long . . .

Mine says Ekco USA. Appears they don't make 'em anymore, but some are available on Ebay and such.

I picked up a used Nemco Tomato tamer at a restaurant supply place last fall. Makes processing tomatoes for dehydrating a LOT easier (300+ tomato plants produce a LOT of tomatoes).

The sharper the better to slice, right? I regularly sharpen my 4" Henkels Zwilling paring knife since I use it for practically everything. I'm a bit clumsy with cutlery and a bigger knife can cause problems. :ohmy: Anyway, I use that knife for slicing/chopping tomatoes and cutting up eggs - all without smashing a thing.

I also use smaller knives whenever possible. I have a small chef knife also; I think it is 6".

I just recently got this sharpener. I love it.

img_1359623_0_0aece89d2622e414be2bd62f052c74e3.jpg

I use just to hone before I use them. A couple times a year I use my Chef's Choice knife sharpener and give them a good sharpening.

Chef's Catalog is presently holding a free series on how to use your different knives and what they are for. It covers all aspect of using and caring for your expensive and not so expensive knives. It starts on how to use the program. Then it covers how to use a particular knife, how to learn to cut faster and safely at the same time, how to hold your knife, etc. Worth a look even for some of the information.

Learn the Knife Techniques you want to know in: Complete Knife Skills

:angel:

Chef's Catalog is presently holding a free series on how to use your different knives and what they are for. It covers all aspect of using and caring for your expensive and not so expensive knives. It starts on how to use the program. Then it covers how to use a particular knife, how to learn to cut faster and safely at the same time, how to hold your knife, etc. Worth a look even for some of the information.

Thanks for sharing the link, Addie, I had just cleaned out my emails and had deleted this.

Maybe this should be moved to Food and Kitchen Safety, or Terms & Techniques, or Knives and made into a sticky for as long as the link works.

Good Idea. But I don't know how to do that. It seems that Craftsy provides classes on a lot of things. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom