"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tool identity help needed

Hi,
My I would like to buy an appliance that was seen on a TV show for a Christmas gift this year but have had no luck in finding it.

It is like a blender I guess.
However, it looks smaller, specifically in its width.
The main part with the chopping/grinding/blitzing device is attached to the lid and is removable, I saw it used in a pan away from the main pot where the food would usually be put in.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Old 11-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
That wouldn't be the world famous MAGIC BULLET, would it?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

YES folks, it's the MAGIC BULLET! Only twelve easy payments of 29999999.95 (plus 999999.95 shipping and handling). It slices, dices, and purees!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I love those infomercials with the guy who crushes all his eggs into oblivion because he doesn't have the flipmaster 7000.

I want one of those rotisseries that roasts a 3lb chicken!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hello and welcome to DC. I just saw the info commercial and it is called the
"Magic Bullit".

I have very bad luck ordering things that I have seen on television but go ahead and give it a try.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

Hey johnyccc...

Just set your alarm and wake up early and flip through the EARLY morning infomercials. While the basic unit is available for $59.99 at most kitchen stores, I think you get extra STUFF when you get it from TV. Granted, I think the offer on TV might get you not ONE... but TWO Magic Bullets for more money ($99.99) but I think you get other extras not available for the $59.99 price.

I love mine, and use it all the time. I think your 'extra' one (if you go the 2 for 1 TV special route) would make a great gift for someone.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Hey - just my 2 cents coming in here. I've read some things about the Magic Bullet that leads me to believe it isn't the greatest thing in the world. Who'd've thunk it? A love of people seem to love them, though.

I have a Braun Multiquick that I bought several years ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $89 - 20% discount. It was reviewed by Cook's Illustrated as the best of the handheld blenders and I can see why.

The one I have is not only a very efficient handheld blender which can be used directly in the cooking pot, but it has two different sized food processor bowls, one almost as large as a blender and another smaller one perfect for things like herbs, garlic, little amounts of stuff. It also has an ice chopper attachment I've never used, a whisk and some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. I absolutely love this little appliance and quality-wise, it can't be beat.

If I were you, I'd skip on by the Magic Bullet (available at Walgreens, by the way, if you really want it) and scope out the Brauns. There are several different ones available, but the Multiquick is their top of the line and the most powerful, but there are others if you don't want to deal with all the attachments. I'm fortunate enough to have a drawer just for mine, but not everyone does. The only reason I'm posting my endorsement is because, like I said, I've read reviews elsewhere. Also, for $99 and two Magic Bullets, you can get the Braun that I'm betting will last pretty much close to a lifetime.

Cheers - Beth
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Me again. Here's one place where you can find reviews. Also a good site for anyone tempted to buy any other informercial products. . .

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scam...let_complaints

Cheers - Beth
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You know, I bought one and I've only used it once - to crack black peppercorns!!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Yet another great tool that is better at separating you form your money, then slicing, dicing, chopping, mixing, or otherwise devastating anything you put in it.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Hahaha...