"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

We use the flour sack towels for our nice wine glasses and china. Other than that, we have a hefty stock of Williams-Sonoma kitchen towels for everyday use.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

For those of you who would like to buy some white kitchen towels...I will suggest you go to www.kingmenus.com. You can buy a nice 17x21 cotton terry cloth for $ 12.49 for five dozen. That's only 20 cents a piece! This is what we use in our restaurant and we are very pleased with them.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Mine are just basic bar towels, I think I last paid $5 for a dozen at Walmart. White with blue stripes. Use them for wiping spills, wiping my hands, use a damp one rolled up as a bowl stand when wisking with one hand and pouring (oil, etc.) with the other. I don't really do anything special to wash them except to use the "Hot" wash cycle.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

flour sack towels for dishes etc, kitchen or bar towels (side towels) all over the place, at the stove, at the sink, etc. also tasting spoons...I have a small canister of spoons I keep by the stove for tasting.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I have a nice assortment of towels for use in the kitchen.
B U T ! ! They all have became almost waterproof!

I never use fabric softner when washing any towels.

Any suggestions on how I can get them to absorbent again?

TIA,
Charlie
Old 03-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #16
Master Chef

Most of mine I found in Wal-Mart and Target as "detailing" cloths in the automotive dept! I think they got wise to me, though, because I don't see that quality there any more (they're herringbone weave, hemmed, tough as nails and very, very absorbant).

A few years ago, I bought a batch of towels that were never absorbant. I still have them, and they've never quite become as absorbant as my favorites in spite of lots of washings in hot water, etc. It's like they're made with celuloid or something (in spite of saying 100% cotton). These were labelled as kitchen towels; don't remember where I bought them. They looked just like kitchen towels I used to buy from W-S, white with a thin blue pinstripe going through them.

I also buy white face cloths by the bundle at Wal-Mart or outlets. These get used for virtually everything. They are so cheap that if I do a particularly nasty job, I don't feel guilty for just tossing them. I just go through my drawer and find the most ragged and stained ones, do the job, and trash afterwards.

I prefer white because -- #1 I can bleach them, and #2 I know what is in there. I look at them and see a stain, and know it is red wine I wiped up, turmeric from a curry, but that it is sanitary because I laundered it.

These towels aren't for public display. Even though people hang around in my kitchen no one has ever commented on the stains on these towels. They are literally one-use. Yes, I have paper towels. But I prefer cloth. I guess it shows my age!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Anthony Bourdain makes a big deal out of his "side towels" in his book Kitchen Confidential.
I too think a good supply of them is an essential tool in my kitchens.
One word to the wise- keep the towels dry. Or if they get wet- get a dry one! Nothing will burn you faster than grabbing a hot pot with a wet towel- the steam is dangerous.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

I got a laugh out of reading Kitchen Confidential and remember thinking of my stacks of white towels and face clothes when he mentioned them being important. You can bet HE doesn't launder his. But it's only a load a week, and I either bleach or oxy them (the latter often works better on stains) in hot water. For a "fancy" meal, I may go through a drawer full. I keep them in drawers. Unlike the pro chefs I see on TV, though, I believe in potholders. I don't think towels do the trick, and it's too easy for them to catch fire. It took a little doing, but I've finally gotten used to the silicone ones, and they are so multi use (pot holder, trivet, jar top remover, and cutting board stabilizer, right off the top of my head). I've burned my fingers way too often through a towel, and caught a lot of them on fire. Keep that pan lid on hand, puts the fire out quickly!
Old 03-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Towels

All these towel stories remind me of a "Heloise" letter a few years ago.
A lady wrote in and said that, she found that if she kept a towel, to wipe up spills, on the kitchen counter, it saved her a lot of paper towels!

Good thinking lady!!

Charlie
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I'm not so sure but I think the lady was right.
I hate paper towels for everyday use. Just too wasteful. I would rather launder cloth towels than buy, use, and throw away paper.
I don't think I'm wacko about it, but I do not encourage the "throw away" society.
But you guys need to do what you like...