Unicorn Magnum Pepper Mill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlgourmet

Assistant Cook
Has anyone used the Unicorn Magnum Plus pepper mill? It seems to be very highly recommended but is expensive for a mill. The Magnum Plus is a 9" grinder and sells for $45. I was just wondering if anyone thought that it was worth it.

Never heard of this one. I'm in the market for a new pepper mill so this is a subject of current interest for me. A little googling shows rave reviews for features and usability. It is even mentioned as a "best" for Cook's Illustrated, which is an authority I have come to (usually) obey.

In my personal opinion, it is very contemporary in appearance, which could be a plus or minus depending on taste. For our primary mill, I personally want a commanding presence that says in a bellow, "Look at me, I've come to crush your pepper!" The Unicorn looks more like it would say, "Eh-hem, excuse me, would you mind if I took a turn at those peppercorns?" So, I guess it depends on what you want YOUR pepper mill to say...

I'm more interested in how it performs instead of what it has to say. I love fresh ground pepper and always prefer it to pre-ground. Based on what I've read, this mill will produce a lot of freshly ground pepper without a lot of effort. It also sounds like the grind is easy to set and is consistent.

Well then go for it. The price isn't outrageous for what I've been seeing pepper mills going for these days. Even those BB&B ones can be $60-$120 (USD). I think $45 is very reasonable, especially if it will save you time and effort in the kitchen. We have a battery-powered one that I like very much, too. If it's a consistent grind you're looking for, you may want to consider one of those.

Those small mills with the wind-up crank handle on top produce alot of pepper in a short amount of time.

cauldron-pepper.jpg

The Magnum is really an excellent pepper mill. It is easy to fill, holds a lot of peppercorns, adjusts to different grinds and isn't messy, because it sits on it's own little coaster. I keep mine next to the stove and am going to buy another for the dining room table.

my unicorn

I became a member of this community JUST TO TELL YOU how much I love my Unicorn Magnum. Mine is the 9inch version and hence did not come with the little saucer on which to rest. This thing puts out a PHENOMINAL amount of pepper! I was WAY hessitant over the $45 + shipping, but I have not for one second regreted it. I found that the cheapest place to order was from the manufacturer; $6 s+h I think.
The 9inch version has a larger grinding mechanism. Perhaps the 6inch would be good for a table-but I almost think the full-size would put out too much pepper to season a single serving. It is almost too good to be true. My wife loves it just as much as I do.

OK, I am done preaching.

I bought at BBB for under $25 recently and it's fine. If i end up replacing it down the road, it's oK.

Back
Top Bottom