"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

As for the peppercorns, yes there is a huge difference in quality to be found, just as with any spice. peppercorns contain oils that give it its flavor. The older the peppercorn, the less potent the oils are. Here is the Penzys page on peppercorns which will give you some info.

As for the grinder, there are quality grinders and cheaper grinders. For the most part, you get what you pay for with peppermills from my experience. I have never tried the Magnums, but have heard excellent things about them. There is another great name in pepper mills that makes wood ones, but the name escapes me right now.

A very popular, easy to find, and quality pepper mill maker is William Bound. Bound makes wooden ones as well as plastic and metal.

Yes consistancy can change with the lesser mills.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

BigDog I moved your Salt Grinder question to it's own thread so we can keep this thread about pepper mills.

You can find your post here.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
Master Chef

I too was hooked with a pepper grider after purchasing the McCormick one. I searched and searched for the perfect grinder for me. I wanted one that felt good in my hands and had different grind levels. The appearance was very important to me also. So needless to say after scouring too many stores to count (high end and lower end) I finally found one that fit me perfectly and I found it at Target. I think I paid between $12 and $14 dollors. I've had it now for over a year and my kids still laugh at me when they see me grinding my pepper as I was like a kid at Christmas for those first few weeks with it. Personally for something so important in my cooking.....like cooking utensils/pans...I want to be able to feel it in my hands and see if it feels comfortable before I'd buy it.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
There is another great name in pepper mills that makes wood ones, but the name escapes me right now.
OK I finally remembered the name. It is Peugeot.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
Master Chef

IMO, the peppercorns you use are eminently more important than what you grind them with.

I sometimes grind mine with a mortar and pestle.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
Master Chef

I'll def. be trying different peppercorns to see the difference and to choice what one works best for use.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with you to a point Jenny, but not completely. A bad pepper mill can be bad for many reasons. It can clog. It can grind too fine or too course without a good way to adjust it. It can be too small to hold enough corns so you are constantly filling it. it can be cheaply made so that the grinding mechanism breaks.

Good quality pepper mills will all preform well and you will not have any of the above problems so as long as you are using a quality mill then yes the pepper corns are way more important.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I got my grinder from Ikea for probably $8.00 Cdn. It's wood , good size, and it has an adjustable grinder thingy ( you can chage the size of grind) fine to coarse actually you can adjust it from fully closed to almost letting full corns fall through, so there is a great range.
J
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Pepper Grinders

I have read all the replies on pepper grinders. No one mentioned the "Peppermate" by East Hampton Industries. I have had mine for over 5 years and have not had a problem with it and it still does a good job. You can adjust the grind on it and it also has a small collection bin on the bottom that can collect the ground pepper. Or you can grind the pepper and not use the small bin. I love this thing. It is dish washer safe. I went on Google and found a well of information on this product. As far as I am concerned it is a little pricy but well worth the initial investment. It sure does beat any other grinder I have tried, and believe me I think I have tried them all.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
Master Chef

That's the "Ina Garten Pepper Mill," no?

I like the collection idea, since some recipes requires a lot of pepper in measured quantities.