"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
Pepper mills

Hello everyone,

I found this thread about pepper mills interesting mainly due to the fact that I happen to make them. Before I started making them myself I was introduced to fresh ground pepper and loved it! I'm not an expert on peppercorns by no means and need to try out some I've heard so much about like Telecherry, Malabar etc but I've spent most all my time making mills, I really need to eat more.

Since I've been making my mills I have found the really good ones are an investment, not an impulse, and good grinding machanisms are critical if they are to perform correctly and last. I've had many folks ask about the mechanisms I use in my mills and I always tell them there is a big difference these days. Stainless steel mechanisms are all I use in mine. Some use carbon steel or even plastic and won't stay sharp holding their edge over time or worse just break.

I've gained a great deal of insight in the 2 years I have been creating my signature pepper mills and wanted to voice my thoughts on them a little here and introduce myself.

'Enhancing One Kitchen At A Time'
mill-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #32
Phantom of the kitchen,

Lol sounds like a dawn of man type of thing.

yep, my cooking is like that at times too! lol

gary b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #33
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
Love the Peugeot

My father and I went pepper mill shopping one day over at the local Sur La Table. We're very finnicky about our kitchen gear, so we went ahead and sampled about twenty different mills that were on a display, including a few that were in their boxes. I had seen the Magnum before in Alton's shows and books, so I tried it but was very dissapointed. While you do get a good grind volume per twist, and the carrying capacity is absolutely massive, I hate that the adjustor is on the bottom near the grinder itself. Also, the variability in grind size is comparably small.

The Peugot (about 6" tall, all clear) however, had an absolutely incredibly grinding range, to cater to anything from Steak Au Poivre to simply seasoning an omelette. It's also presentable for formal occasions on the table. Only drawback is that the volume is a bit too small for my tastes, but that's nothing I worry about. 20 seconds of refilling labor is worth the amazing fine to coarse range.
GarrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #34
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by goodgiver
I have read all the replies on pepper grinders. No one mentioned the "Peppermate" by East Hampton Industries. I have had mine for over 5 years and have not had a problem with it and it still does a good job. You can adjust the grind on it and it also has a small collection bin on the bottom that can collect the ground pepper. Or you can grind the pepper and not use the small bin. I love this thing. It is dish washer safe. I went on Google and found a well of information on this product. As far as I am concerned it is a little pricy but well worth the initial investment. It sure does beat any other grinder I have tried, and believe me I think I have tried them all.
I'm shopping for one of these and find them in both the ceramic grinder and the steel type but can't find any info about which would be best except that the ceramic one would be better for grinding salt. Anybody know?
gego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
OK, the magnum plus is AWESOME-it almost puts out too much for use on the dining table. After fresh ground pepper "changed my life" the next epiphany came from fresh ground Nutmeg. OMGosh. I already used my first ounce and ordered a pound on line (was like $10 + $7 ship. vs 7 to 12 per oz in our grocery stores!) Can I get a "HOO HAW" for Fresh-ground Nutmeg... or perhaps a new recipee. I keep making 'maple and nutmeg custard and would like a fresh recipee

LovingParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
lol, I was just looking for a new peppermill and low and behold, here's two threads on one of them I was looking at. I was a bit put off by the price of the Unicorn Magnum, so chose a bamboo one with matching saltbox (I use a small tupperware container for my salt now) and it was also rated well by its users. It's not ordered yet though. I may rethink this Unicorn mill.

It kinda makes you scratch your head.... the Unicorn mill is plastic outside. The other one I was looking at is bamboo and advertised as "eco-friendly" because of how fast bamboo grows and bamboo being a natural product.
No mention of Panda Bears.....

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote