"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

thanks guys there are great hassle, time and money savers in there!

next time my dentist asks if I've been using floss, I can say yes. Though it probably wont be what he had in mind, lol.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Take one of the round containers you buy potato salad in at the grocery store. Line it with Saran Wrap/plastic cling wrap and use it to form your hamburgers or chicken burgers. Makes a perfect, round burger and they are individually wrapped so they can store if you don't want to cook a full pound at one time. (Learned from Guy Fieri and used many times. I love that man!!)
My MIL uses old plastic tub lids to make patties and leaves them in the lid to freeze.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
Master Chef

Well, my step-mom had an interesting use for her salad spinner .... when she washed out panties, pantyhose, ace bandages or her TED stockings by hand she would use the salad spinner to give them a "spin dry" cycle.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't walked in on her doing it one day!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo View Post
After I open a container of ice cream I cover the top with plastic wrap before replacing the lid. Keeps the Ice Cream fresher.

wait why would you put plastic wrap over and empty container?

what ice cream is there to keep fresh? I usually odnt see it for 24 hours after i eat it. if you know what I mean
Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Well, my step-mom had an interesting use for her salad spinner .... when she washed out panties, pantyhose, ace bandages or her TED stockings by hand she would use the salad spinner to give them a "spin dry" cycle.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't walked in on her doing it one day!
I certainly hope she has one for laundry and one for food. I'd be hesitant to eat a salad at her place if she doesn't!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I certainly hope she has one for laundry and one for food. I'd be hesitant to eat a salad at her place if she doesn't!
Don't worry ... by the time I witnessed this exhabition of a senile parent's creative utalization of a kitchen tool I had been doing all of her cooking and salad prep for about 5 years (and I had my own salad spinner).
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I mentioned this last year in my Beef Stock 101 thread.

In restaurant kitchens, we have what we call "Ice Wands". They are large, heavy-duty plastic bottles with an X-shaped cross-section to increase surface area. We fill these with water, freeze them (be sure to leave a little head space at the top so the bottle doesn't break), and use them to cool large batches of hot liquid by placing the bottles directly in the pot.

What I've done is to take a 2-liter pop bottle, remove the label, scrub it clean, and do the fill/freeze procedure. When I make stock, I'll plug the sink, place a cake rack in the bottom, the pan of hot stock, pour ice around the pan, put the frozen 2-liter in, then fill the sink with just enough cold water so that the fluid level in the pan is a little above the fluid level of the sink, so the pan doesn't float. I can chill 2 gallons of boiling-hot stock down to 40 degrees F in 30 minutes this way. The faster it goes through the Danger Zone, the less chance bacteria have to grow, and the stock will have a longer shelf life, although I'm going to freeze the stuff within a few days anyway.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #38
Head Chef

I use a sewing seam ripper in the kitchen to open pesky plastic wrapped packaged foods easily.

I use a Mrs. Butterworth plastic bottle for my liquid dish soap. It look cute sitting on the cabinet.

I use vintage aqua glass canning jars and other matching bottles and jars for canisters and other kitchen storage.

The old Gardenway kitchen carousels hold my utensils and spin to make access easy. They were originally for garden hand tool storage and are sturdier and more spacious than those storage carousels designed for kitchen use.

I use an old Brita filter water dispenser to hold lemonade and tea in the refrigerator. You can have one for tea and one for lemonade and stack them.

A white wicker bath wall caddy sits beside the range to hold larger jars of spices and seasonings.

A white wicker mirror frame with the mirror removed now has cork board covered in my kitchen fabric and is attached to the refrigerator with magnet strips to hold notes and shopping lists.