"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef

One of the very best (I know, I know, but if you find one of these annoying implements that ACTUALLY works, I think you should spread the gospel!) is a wooden juice reamer that I've had for about 25 years - nothing gets the juice out of lemons, oranges and limes so well....

Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Sous Chef

a garlic press - its quicker to use a knife - actually, many times I prefer to use roasted garlic

the slicer/shredder attachment for the kitchenaid mixer - the plastic housing cracks like this

After this happened the first time I was stoopid enuf to buy a replacement and it happened again. Mended it with krazy glue and crossed my fingers. Wish I hadn't given away my box grater

Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

a tart pan without a removable bottom
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Re: Useless kitchen tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
If you are like me you love kitchen gadgets and tools. Sometimes I just get that itch and need a new one. Now I am sure we have all done this. We go out and buy something and then realize we have no need for it.

What have you bought only to find that you never use it? The catch here is that it has to be something that other people actually find useful, but because of what you cook or how you cook you just don't have a need for it.

For me it would be my food mill. I have a beautiful one from William Sonoma. It is very large and very well made. I think I used it once though and I actually am not even sure where the thing is right now. I am sure I will use it again at some point, but it is definitely something I could have done without.
Don't be too sure there GB they are great for homemade baby food. It may be getting a workout yet
We actually got a special baby food mill for that :). It is similar in shape to a pepper grinder. It is just the right size for a baby. I am sure that will be getting a TON on use. I would much rather make my own baby food then buy those expensive little jars. My big food mill would be large enough to make baby food for an entire day care center LOL.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
my bf bought a bread machine from a garage sale for about 5 bucks. i think i used it a whole 3 times in 5 yrs.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Anything related to baking is useless to me - mini tart pans, bread tubes in different shapes, gingerbread mold.

But the most useless thing I can think of that I have is a garlic press. I always prefer to chop mine and it's a pain to clean!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

a shrimp sheller/de-veiner. it looks like some kind of crochet or needlework hook. it's supposed to split the shrimp, forcing off the shell, exposing the vein. what it actually does is mangle the shrimp.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I bought two pie pans a year ago in the hope of making quiche in them. The crust for the quiche was a disaster and I have never used the pie pans once.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
a garlic press - its quicker to use a knife - actually, many times I prefer to use roasted garlic

the slicer/shredder attachment for the kitchenaid mixer - the plastic housing cracks like this

After this happened the first time I was stoopid enuf to buy a replacement and it happened again. Mended it with krazy glue and crossed my fingers. Wish I hadn't given away my box grater
The plastic one is wack, but you would like the cast aluminum one.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
The plastic one is wack, but you would like the cast aluminum one.
Hi c-chef,

I'm sure I would - I see them sometimes on eBay. However, I don't use this attachment that much any more - I do wish I still had my box grater tho.

BTW, I finally got that metal rolling pin you recommended just the other day. (The seller took forever to ship it.)
(lovely large size and in very good condition)

Sooo, now I'm thinking pastry...maybe its time to learn how to make puff pastry with my new toy!