"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #21

Hey sub! I am glad you like the rolling pin!

It is funny, my friend I sent the christmas gift rolling pin to, did not like it! She says it is too heavy..... I am crushed.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Gadgets

I have a beautiful Pasta Machine, with dies to make most any type of pasta.
Wish I knew where it is??

Probably with my Expresso machine.

Charlie

Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I have to agree with others on the garlic press as being useless. I also just prefer to wack, peel, and chop. It is also terrible to clean. I was given a coffee bean grinder as a gift. I used it initially a few times, but now I have no idea where I put it. We moved within the past year and I'm not sure if I tossed it or have put it in a "safe" place here. If I want fresh ground coffee, I just grind and bag it at the grocery store. Unfortunately, tho', there are some items that, although used rarely, they can't really qualify as useless because, when you need it, you need it - and are glad you've got it. Stay warm everyone wherever you are, going to be in the single digits here tonight. Ugh!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #24
Master Chef

Oh, there are so many over the years. Luckily I've moved often, so get rid of what I don't use often, and don't have my folllies taking up space. About three years ago I had to furnish a kitchen (a whole house) from scratch, and the only mistakes I've made were a .... can't remember what it's called ... a mezulina or something like that. A rocking cutter. And it wasn't so much my mistake I don't think. I thought it would be great for chopping herbs. I have a spectacularly successful herb garden but sometimes chopping them is a pain. I wanted one of these cutters with the fitted bowl. Hubby bought me a double bladed one, no bowl. The herbs get caught between the two blades. Back to the chef's knife.

When I went to buy a food processor I went for a little cuisinart number that is both food processor and blender. In fact, I should have known that I simply do not use a blender that often and bought a larger food processor.

But over the years ..... mostly I've screwed up by trying to save money.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #25
Master Chef

I have an electric apple/potatoe peeler I hardly use. I have to cut the ends off and slice the apples anyway so I don't bother with the electric one .
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Re garlic press

I have a zyliss that I bought many years ago after watching the Frug. I use it mostly in curries that need almost a paste.
What I found out that he didn't know is don't peel the clove!
Just pop it in, squeeze, cut the garlic off the bottom, and the waste comes out in one piece and leaves the press clean enough to just throw in the dishwasher. Try it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
Head Chef

Where did I put the yogurt maker?

This is the reason my yogurt incubator is a blanket that otherwise might be on the bed!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I have used the garlic press once in the last 5 years, but the flour sifter is a certain thrift shop item (I use a strainer) next time I go with a bag of goodies for them, and the apple slicer corer thingy...I don't buy apples small enough to go with that.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
I have a zyliss that I bought many years ago after watching the Frug. I use it mostly in curries that need almost a paste.
What I found out that he didn't know is don't peel the clove!
Just pop it in, squeeze, cut the garlic off the bottom, and the waste comes out in one piece and leaves the press clean enough to just throw in the dishwasher. Try it.
If I can show my ignorance...what is a zyliss?

Edit: Never mind. I guess it's a garlic press.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #30
Master Chef

For me it was a garlic press and some do-hickey thing that measures pasta? Oh, and a cheese slicer... all this stuff just sits in the drawers beggin for a chance to show their worth. And most recently I bought a digital themometer... still sittin in the drawer with all the protective film on it!!! And I guess I will say my new stock pot... only used it once. I tend to shy away from it because it is a PITA to clean!