"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My Bundt pan!!!! I think I've had it around 7 years? Made something in it twice.

I'll agree on cheese slicer. This is what knives are for!

This I didn't actually buy, I had a Tupperware party and chose it.... my salad spinner / keeper. It works great, but I don't have fridge space to keep a big bowl full of lettuce in there all the time. Sure would be cheaper than the bags if I could. I used to when I had an extra fridge.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #32
Master Chef

I'm with ya on the bundt pan!!! LOL... refuse to get rid of it, but one of the least used utensils in my kitchen tools!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
My Bundt pan!!!! I think I've had it around 7 years? Made something in it twice.

I'll agree on cheese slicer. This is what knives are for!

This I didn't actually buy, I had a Tupperware party and chose it.... my salad spinner / keeper. It works great, but I don't have fridge space to keep a big bowl full of lettuce in there all the time. Sure would be cheaper than the bags if I could. I used to when I had an extra fridge.
We have a salad spinner, suzie. Not Tupperware, but a spinner just the same. However, I don't store my lettuce in the spinner in the refrigerator after I've spun it. Once dry, I put the lettuce into a zipperlock bag with a piece of paper towel in the bottom. Never had a problem with my lettuce going bad. It's always nice and crisp, though.

As for the bundt pan, I use mine for gelatin desserts/salads and meatloaf. Fill the center of the meatloaf with mashed potatoes. Yummy.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Thanks Katie another great idea!
The spinning part lifts out of mine and once you dry out the bowl it has a sealing lid for storing. But, I have 3 kids and 3 gallons of milk on hand, no space for bowls!!
Maybe I will buy some lettuces tomorrow, dig out the spinner and bag my own salads............
I think it's under the Bundt pan...... ;)
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Bundt pans useless? If it weren't for Bundt pans, I'd never be able to make monkey bread and various ring-shaped cakes!

Breadmakers do rank highly as tools that have almost no application when I cook. I have used one for making dough for my Gen Tso's pizza in the past, but now I just make it by hand.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
these roller pizza cutters are a waste of time, they make more mess than it`s worth.
these hand-held rotary cheese graters... now they`re great (some pun intended) and do process a lot of cheese very quickly, that time gained is All lost again when it comes to trying the Wash the thing clean afterwards!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
My mom gave me a gadget that is supposed to core and slice a pineapple - all I got was a big mess. I can core and cut a pineapple quickly with no mess. I thanked her and gave it back. Do you know what she said? "I don't want it!"
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #38
Master Chef

I have two things that I never use (well almost) but have trouble getting rid of since my dear departed mom loved them. The first is the apple peeler corer slicer thingy (manual)that turns out spiral sliced apples. The other is a slicer (electric) that in theory is to work like those meat and cheese slicers in the deli. It works and slices things nicely but is a PITA to use. Saftey features make it clumsy to work and hard to clean.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Found this link today when checking my mail.

Be forewarned, #3 is...odd.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
LOL at some postings, specially the food mill and garlic crusher. I use them weekly and every other day respectively.
It is not a gadget, but an appliance: The dishwasher. It is a nice Bosch unit, but I just prefer to wash things by hand.