Uses for a teaspoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
A teaspoon - not the measuring kind but the kind you eat with - is perfect for coring apples or pears.

Just halve the fruit, then rotate the teaspoon in a full circle around the core. The core pops out in a half-moon leaving a perfectly circular, tidy hole.

I used to use a knife but this is faster and the fruit looks prettier.

I bet a lot of you knew this already but it was a new one to me so I thought I'd share it :D

I could be truly evil on this one, due to the horrific villains I've put in some of my novels. But I'll be a good boy and leave that genre alone. The teaspoon is also fairly close to the measuring variety and in a pinch can be substituted as such. It's also great for scooping out a halved grapruit, mashing stubborn bits of unmelted or undisolved particles in a glass of hot cocoa. The teaspoon is great for taste-testing things, and for sirring up a quick cornstarch slurry, and is the preffered spoon for eating broths, soups, etc.

Don't, I mean DON't use it to push food into a food processor, or meat grinder. It's jsut a very bad idea. Take it from someone who knows.

Also, the teaspoon is the ideal implement for taste testing combinations such as peanut butter and anything. You put a bit of PB or the spoon tip, and fill the rest with the other ingrediant. That way, you get both flavors in your mouth, withour too much of either.

I know, these all seem too obvious. But then again, it's obvious that you shouldn't use a lit match to illuminate the inside of a gas tank to check the gas level, and yet, I've seen people do it on snowmobiles (back before theyput gass gauges on the machines, and yes, I'm old enough to remember 1960 vintage machines).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, I usually use a melon-baller to remove the cores of apples and pears, but since I don't normally have one at home, I'll have to give the teaspoon trick a try.

Also, a large service spoon is great to scoop the flesh from a halved and seeded avocado.

it is the alto in the musical spoons family. a table spoon being the tenor, and gravy serving spoons are the base. hmmm, i guess a sugar spoon is the soprano.

I like to use a teaspoon to peel hard boiles eggs. Crack the shell all over, wet the spoon and insert it under the film on the inside of the shell. Roll the egg around the spoon. BINGO!

Charlie

A teaspoon is the perfect too to use when peeling ginger root. The skin just scrapes right off and you lose almost no ginger.

GB said:
A teaspoon is the perfect too to use when peeling ginger root. The skin just scrapes right off and you lose almost no ginger.

What a great tip, GB--I can't wait to try it now! I always seem to take half of the ginger with the peel!

You can also use it to stir your tea.

Allways assuming you know how to make tea.

Goodweed of the North said:
I could be truly evil on this one, due to the horrific villains I've put in some of my novels. But I'll be a good boy and leave that genre alone. The teaspoon is also fairly close to the measuring variety and in a pinch can be substituted as such. It's also great for scooping out a halved grapruit, mashing stubborn bits of unmelted or undisolved particles in a glass of hot cocoa. The teaspoon is great for taste-testing things, and for sirring up a quick cornstarch slurry, and is the preffered spoon for eating broths, soups, etc.

Don't, I mean DON't use it to push food into a food processor, or meat grinder. It's jsut a very bad idea. Take it from someone who knows.

Also, the teaspoon is the ideal implement for taste testing combinations such as peanut butter and anything. You put a bit of PB or the spoon tip, and fill the rest with the other ingrediant. That way, you get both flavors in your mouth, withour too much of either.

I know, these all seem too obvious. But then again, it's obvious that you shouldn't use a lit match to illuminate the inside of a gas tank to check the gas level, and yet, I've seen people do it on snowmobiles (back before theyput gass gauges on the machines, and yes, I'm old enough to remember 1960 vintage machines).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Goodweed,
Please tell me you're kidding about the last part :roll:
John.

A teaspoon is good for rapping a child on the knuckles, or on top of their head, when they misbehave at the table.

I prefer a large wooden spoon for when they act up elsewhere such as in the kitchen. The wooden spoon is also very handy for "applied psychology" to their hiney when warranted ....

Michael in FtW said:
A teaspoon is good for rapping a child on the knuckles, or on top of their head, when they misbehave at the table.

I prefer a large wooden spoon for when they act up elsewhere such as in the kitchen. The wooden spoon is also very handy for "applied psychology" to their hiney when warranted ....

I used to live in mortal fear of my mother's wooden spoon. And yes, it got used A LOT.

When my little brother was 2 - 3 (I was approaching 20), he BROKE that wooden spoon after he got a couple tastes of it after misbehaving. Well, my mother had a brilliant idea of telling me to "Go cut a switch for him", at which point my little brother would start crying and screaming that he would be good. That usually worked, but sometimes I had to actually go cut one. When I moved out, my Mom started having my little brother go cut HIS OWN switch. Man, you know that had to be bad!

I have long handled teaspoons , I use a lot for stirring my coffee or tea , which is usually in a tall mug. I think they are called iced tea spoons.

You might as well just go sit on the front steps and wait for Children's Protective Services to show up.

Until Shoe Protective Services...

Teaspoons make great, gravity-defying nose jewelry. They also make handy pea-catapults, gagging aids for especially saccharine emotional interludes, and have you ever tried to play the card game "Spoons" with forks or knives? Ouch!

Yea, you've been digging up some old ones petey! Just look at the original post to check the dates. You've helped a few people who aren't here anymore :LOL:

Yea, you've been digging up some old ones petey! Just look at the original post to check the dates. You've helped a few people who aren't here anymore :LOL:

This thread is 3 years old but before you, it was February when someone posted.

I use them to crush medicine tablets for doggie.
Trying to get him to swallow tablets whole is impossible.
No, cheese or peanut butter don't work.
So I crush with teaspoon in soysauce saucer, wet tip of finger and rub medicine on his tongue. He doesn't know what hit him, and he can't gag it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom