"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 03-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
I keep my wooden spoons and rubber spatulas in a ceramic utensil holder with the Blue Willow pattern on the front. It was a gift from my sister. It is on the right side of the stove. Those are the tools I use the most. I have two drawers that hold everything else. One drawer is dedicated to cooking meals such as my large metal spoons, spatulas, etc. I lay then in the drawer with the handle to the right as that is the hand I am going to be using them in. The second drawer is dedicated to baking. Icing spatulas, zester (which I keep in an empty towel cardboard sleeve), measuring cups and spoons, etc. These drawers are right across from the stove. And my kitchen is a narrow galley type. So by turning almost halfway, I can just open a drawer and reach what I need. Down at the other end, I have a drawer with all the odd stuff. My large heavy rolling pin, the hand held mandolin, ice cream scoops for cooking making, beaters for the hand held mixer, etc. This is stuff I use very seldom or takes up just to much room. It is in a way, the junk drawer for all my odds and ends of kitchen cooking and baking utensils.

I have my cherry pitter in this drawer. I don't know why I am holding on to it. I used it once to pit olives and a couple of times for cherries. I don't eat cherries so when Pirate gets his own apartment, it is going with him. Along with a lot more "junk." My ricer was been used only once. Another one of those tools I just had to have or I would never be able to make mashed potatoes again. I have used it once. It is not sitting in the box for Pirate to take with him.

I definitely need to clean house and get rid of this stuff. I am not cooking as much as I used to.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I bought a couple of tool hooks that are covered with red plastic. They swivel closed to the cabinet. I put them on the end cabinet and they hold my rolling pin. I currently have plywood countertops, waiting for a pallet wood butcher block top I am building myself. Once I get it done, I'll take pics.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
Head Chef
They do make carousels for utensils, art supplies, desk organizers, etc.

We have the Pampered Chef one in bamboo, although it didn't cost as much when I bought it as they do now. It holds more than you think it would from looking at it.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
Master Chef
I used to keep mine in a drawer next to the stove, but those 2 drawers are narrower than the other ones in the kitchen, and they got to be too crowded. Several years ago I bought a wide crockery jar and now store them in that. There's enough room between the tallest utensil and the top of the cabinets, so they have plenty of clearance.

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote