Utensil Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptr_hml

Assistant Cook
Hi I am in desperate need of some new utensils for both nonstick and cast iron cookwear. I must be really hard on mine as they are all rough on the edges. I melted my favorite omelet turner yesterday while I was sauteing leftover chicken, shrooms and onions for nacho toppings :shock: I used to use wooden utensils but I have gotten out of the habit of using them. So I am open for all suggestions thanks

Sounds like you must be using nylon utensils. You don't have to be rough on them to get the ragged edges. That was one of my complaints about nylon utensils. If you have an old fashioned emory board that has a course side (fine grit sandpaper) and a fine side (emory paper) you can smooth the jaggies off with little effort - just pretend they are overgorwn fingernails and give them a manicure. :LOL:

Since the "seasoning" that makes cast iron non-stick can be scratched - I treat it with as much respect as I do my non-stick pans; I treat my anodized aluminum and stainless steel about the same way. I use wood spoons and spatulas mostly, then spatulas (scraper and flipper/turner types) and spoonulas (spoon shaped spatulas) made from silicone.

I never use metal utensils in non-stick pans although the infomercials for the new generation non-stick coatings say it's okay. I sometimes use metal spatulas with cast iron - but I'm not rough with it - and only use metal spoons or ladels for removing food, not during the cooking stage. For sauces where I need a wire whisk - I have a couple of aluminum pans I use for that - or I'm using a stainless steel bowl as a double boiler.

I own a really top quality set of heavy duty stainless steel utensils for normal everyday cooking in my stainlees pots and pans, and they hang on their own rack on the counter next to the stove. For my non-stick and cast iron, I buy a complete set of plastic ones from the 99 Cent store and hang them on a wall rack. When one or more of them melt, break, or become warped and bent, I just toss them all out and go buy another bunch for a buck apiece from the 99 Cent store, because they never have the same design two weeks in a row, so you can't just replace one. :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom