"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
#1 - the lady doing the video should not EVER be allowed to hold a sharp object!! It's commercials like that that tick me off. Let's be over-the-top dramatic to misguide the general public.

#2 - If this blade cuts things in a square shape then everything on the first cut (except onions, at least most of the onion due to the rings) would be cut in a longer piece. You would then have to lay all those pieces up there again to get them chopped into cubes. And, as long as you were willing to do that twice, and you wanted everything chopped in that particular size, it might work for someone. I see where, if you WANT your French fries cut in this size this would work. If you want cubed potatoes, like I said, you would have to lay them up there again to cube them.

Am I missing something?

If there were medical issues where cutting was difficult this would be great as long as it actually worked. I, a LONG time ago, found out NEVER to order anything off the tv that cost $19.95 Those folks got a hold of my credit card and charged about $400.00 worth of "sign-up" fees for different things. Made me questioning every buying anything off of TV ever again. I have found that sometimes Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a lot of infomercial type products.

...+1. These are just the type of tools that are better at seperating your money from you wallet. Just my $.02.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Master Chef

I agree with KElf.

The lady in the commercial looks like she needs medication more than a chopper gadget.

I also don't understand how this thing would be very useful. It "chops" things into a rectangular shape. How often do you want rectangular chunks?

Plus it seems sort of flimsy -- it even bends a little in the ad.

IMO a knife is much more useful.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I agree with KElf.

I also don't understand how this thing would be very useful. It "chops" things into a rectangular shape. How often do you want rectangular chunks?
Yes - so if you want cubes you have to set the rectangular shapes back in the device and cut again. Plus, I just can't see it working with tomatoes especially after there's some wear on the blades - it seems like it would squish rather than chop - but I could be wrong!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Jennyema and kitchenelf, I guess I can't sell you my eggstractor.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Jennyema and kitchenelf, I guess I can't sell you my eggstractor.
OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I saw one of these chopper wizard things yesterday, under a different name, in Le Gourmet Chef, for $14.99, and all their "gadgets" were an additional 20% off. No I did not buy one. What I did buy was one of those "rabbit ears" wine openers for 75% (not a typo!) off the original $39.95 price, and a french fry cutter because Trader Joe doesn't sell frozen sweet potato fries any more. I think I am going to take the french fry cutter back and buy a mandoline instead, because upon inspection, the carraige of the french fry cutter would require using very small potatoes.

I seems I have used up all my Christams gift cards on kitchen gadgets. I bought a 6-inch ceramic Chef's knife (greatr for cutting lettuce without it turning brown!) with my Target card, an electric can opener and a pair of kitchen shears with my Best Buy gift card, and the above listed stuff with my Le Gourmet Chef gift card.

I was informed that my particular Le Gourmet Chef store will not be getting it's lease renewed, so I will be visiting frequently until their closing in February to get the best deals I can get. I really want a 12-inch tri-ply frying pan, but I can't find any room to hang it on my pot rack. I may just toss out my old Calphalon fry pan with the messed up non-stick and set my new SS pan on the cutting board in it's place.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course not! JK because of your skepticism in earlier posts.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought I knew you better than that! lol skepticism? me?

Caine - you will love your mandolin. Might I suggest an all stainless steel one versus plastic and stainless. Yes, they are more but well worth it. Thick slices, thin slices, two different julienne sizes, rippled cutter, straight cutter, area to make waffle cuts too.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Every year devices like this that come out and usually end up in someone's garage sale. The great thing about a kitchen is it's your's. You create your own reality. In my space I love my knives. Running kitchen for 10 years taught me how to properly use knives and I'm pretty quick with them. I also find it almost theraputic slicing and dicing. To me onions aren't a chore and are one of the quickest things to dice up. I hope it works for you and becomes a great tool in your space, it just wouldn't fit into mine.

JDP
Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #20
Head Chef

Generally don't watch the most favorite show on TV between 5 AM and 10 AM - Paid Programming.

Mostly just use the remote to gloss over them without having to actually see any of them, but once in a while pause on one that is a cooking gizmo and usually become enthralled.

Have not purchased one of those in years, but am always tempted to.

Then I think about the thing for a minute and generally realize it really isn't going to help me at all and will just take up more cabinet space than we have.

How I have managed to not order Ron's rotisserie I have no idea, but I have.

But we managed to learn to cook to lthe limited ability we have only by reading, watching TV, and trying, trying, trying. And we are still learning, and thanks to all of you who help us.

And we learned it under very poor circumstances.

Came to a point where I realized that the historically finest chefs did not put out a meal using culinary gimcracks, they did it by knowing how to cook.

And they could do that with the simplest of tools.

Now that does not mean I do not expend money of the best of tools I think I can use. A fine mandolin is one.

It does mean I believe cooking is a skill that most can learn, and learn to do fairly well, but it is also very special talent that only a few can master.

And the technical folderol never made a good cook.

Sorry for carrying on.