"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Vidalia Chop Wizard.

If there are any of you out there who still hate to chop onions with a knife, this item should help make your life much easier.

It's called the Vidalia the Chop Wizard, and it can be used to chop just about all types of fruits and veggies. I just ordered one online. In that same order, I also ordered the optional Vidalia Mini Chopper and the Vidalia Chop Wizard replacement blades as a backup.

The Vidalia Chop Wizard w/ Dicer blade is just $19.95 plus shipping. If you want to find out more, just go to http://www.chopwizard.com.

Mods, please move this thread to Cooks Tools. I mistakingly put it in the wrong category. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
The fun part of cooking for me is prep, so having a machine do it for me may be quicker, but takes the fun out of it! :X

Thanks for the tip though.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hope you enjoy it Corey and thanks for the site reference.

Am just so used to picking up the knife I don't think I will buy it. Only when I have to make gazoonga (OK, I know it isn't a word) quantities of something will drag out the whizzer. I don't particularly like even those.

As I get older, and am admittedly careening not so gracefully into old fogey status and set in my ways, I am tending to become a minimalist. Feel more comfortable just going back to basics.

But that is just me.

Enjoy the new choppers and have a great new year.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

PLEASE post your opinion of the chopper after you've used it for some stuff, Corey!

I saw it advertised on TV today and it looked cool, but I'm too cynical to order it.

Lee
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to mpalamar
Hey Corey,

I have something similar - the nicer dicer. My boyfriend bought it for me, he thought I'd love something like that, and it works great...but like the others said, in the end I use the knife. It's easier (not to mention adds less dishes to your 'clean-up').

Hope you enjoy it!

Melissa
Old 01-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thank you all and yo're welcome!!

Yes, I was going to get the Nicer Dicer, but to me, I think it's too expensive.

But I'll post an opinion here when I get the Chop Wizard and have tried it out.

Glad that I was at least able to let you know about it in case anyone DOES decide to get one. Thanks again!!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Why? No matter the quantity, cutting veggies by hand always gives me the correct coarseness, etc. Plus, all I have to do for clean-up is wash the knife and cutting board. If I need to cut up a gazillion onions, celery, etc., I'll just haul out my trusty Cuisinart and go for it. Like my chopping knife, it's already paid for and has a niche in my kitchen/pantry.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Vidalia: isn't that a type of onions?

It takes years to learn how to cut everything. I think they call it a culinary art.

If I had to mass product meal after meal, I would buy anything that works. I guess at the end of gardening season, when your done canning, freezing...etc but the veggies and fruits are still coming forth, it might be nice to have some handy gadget to help rather than watch it go to waste on the vine.

I just can't stand the way a lot of those products just gnaw stuff up and leave whole chunks because the veggie isn't the right size.

These hands are going to need a helping hand one day but for now, I'm just going to sharpen my knife a little sharper.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
#1 - the lady doing the video should not EVER be allowed to hold a sharp object!! It's commercials like that that tick me off. Let's be over-the-top dramatic to misguide the general public.

#2 - If this blade cuts things in a square shape then everything on the first cut (except onions, at least most of the onion due to the rings) would be cut in a longer piece. You would then have to lay all those pieces up there again to get them chopped into cubes. And, as long as you were willing to do that twice, and you wanted everything chopped in that particular size, it might work for someone. I see where, if you WANT your French fries cut in this size this would work. If you want cubed potatoes, like I said, you would have to lay them up there again to cube them.

Am I missing something?

If there were medical issues where cutting was difficult this would be great as long as it actually worked. I, a LONG time ago, found out NEVER to order anything off the tv that cost $19.95 Those folks got a hold of my credit card and charged about $400.00 worth of "sign-up" fees for different things. Made me questioning every buying anything off of TV ever again. I have found that sometimes Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a lot of infomercial type products. That's how I first discovered Oxy-Clean because I was NOT going to buy it off of TV but I saw it there!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
VIf I had to mass product meal after meal, I would buy anything that works.
Even when I cooked in a restaurant we still used our knives. The only "gadget" we had was this Japanese curly slicer like Turning Slicer by Benriner for doing carrots for the salads and also for doing potatoes to make a potato crust for the grouper. We also had an all stainless steel mandolin which was a must for Gratin Dauphinois, among other things.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote