"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Want Your Opinion on this Cutting Board

hi all

I just bought this cutting board at a local "job lot" store

It is 13" in diameter, 1-1/2" thick, weighs (according to my bathroom scale) 5lb and the sticker says "imported from Thailand". The "inlay" pieces are nice and tight. It cost $10. If you flip it over the surface is all flat so that side could be used for serious chopping without marring the front.

With the holidays coming up, I'm thinking it might make a good gift for a few of my friends who are serious about cooking and equipment.

What's your opinion? If you got this as a gift would you honestly like and/or use it? "Cons" as well as "pros" are earnestly solicited. (The only thing I'm not sure about is whether someone would really want a round board but you may have other observations. I don't know the wood but I'm speculating they do some serious chopping in Thailand and it doesn't look or feel cheap.)

"Job lot" stuff goes quickly and there are about 4 more in good condition left so I hope I get feedback ASAP. TIA.

subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Hrmmm. That looks good but, for me I like to have more surface area. I like the bigger ones.

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Sous Chef
Anybody who knows Asian cooking would recognize and appreciate it.
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
Originally Posted by MJ
Hrmmm. That looks good but, for me I like to have more surface area. I like the bigger ones.
I agree, if it were a little larger, it would be perfect. But, then, I am clumsy, and need more room to chop. Maybe you and your friends won't need as much chopping room as I do.
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Master Chef
For some reason it appears that the Asian cutting boards generally are round ... at least from watching various Asian chefs on TV. Of course, most of them also look like a 3-4 inch thick slice of a large diameter tree trunk.

Although, like MJ, I really like a larger rectangular board - I could see where this would be a handy size if you had limited counter space. It appears to be an end-grain board, which is a big plus because it will not warp or dull your knives as much as a side-grain board.

I went out a looked at other round boards at various sites ... most are about 15-16 inches in diameter ... and cost between about $60-$100 ... so $10 is a steal deal.

FWIW - your picture is actually of the bottom of the board. The other side (without the indentions) is the top. Sitting that way, if you want to pick the board up you have a space to get your fingers under the board - like a built in handle.

It looks like a nice board to me! Sure can't beat the price. And, if I got one as a gift I certainly would appreciate it.
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
Senior Cook
One thing: I had a board with the pressed-together wood blocks many years ago. I loved it. I don't remember how it happened now, but somehow it ended up partially or wholly submerged in water for too long, and some of the squares loosened, and one came out altogether.

I know it's standard knowledge that you shouldn't leave any board in water for any length of time, but I think single-plank boards are more forgiving, so long as you don't expose them to water for more than a short time. But with the little squares, you have to be doubly careful.

Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote