Want Your Opinion on this Cutting Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
hi all

I just bought this cutting board at a local "job lot" store

cutting-board-thailand.JPG

It is 13" in diameter, 1-1/2" thick, weighs (according to my bathroom scale) 5lb and the sticker says "imported from Thailand". The "inlay" pieces are nice and tight. It cost $10. If you flip it over the surface is all flat so that side could be used for serious chopping without marring the front.

With the holidays coming up, I'm thinking it might make a good gift for a few of my friends who are serious about cooking and equipment.

What's your opinion? If you got this as a gift would you honestly like and/or use it? "Cons" as well as "pros" are earnestly solicited. (The only thing I'm not sure about is whether someone would really want a round board but you may have other observations. I don't know the wood but I'm speculating they do some serious chopping in Thailand and it doesn't look or feel cheap.)

"Job lot" stuff goes quickly and there are about 4 more in good condition left so I hope I get feedback ASAP. TIA.

Hrmmm. That looks good but, for me I like to have more surface area. I like the bigger ones.

MJ said:
Hrmmm. That looks good but, for me I like to have more surface area. I like the bigger ones.

I agree, if it were a little larger, it would be perfect. But, then, I am clumsy, and need more room to chop. Maybe you and your friends won't need as much chopping room as I do.

For some reason it appears that the Asian cutting boards generally are round ... at least from watching various Asian chefs on TV. Of course, most of them also look like a 3-4 inch thick slice of a large diameter tree trunk.

Although, like MJ, I really like a larger rectangular board - I could see where this would be a handy size if you had limited counter space. It appears to be an end-grain board, which is a big plus because it will not warp or dull your knives as much as a side-grain board.

I went out a looked at other round boards at various sites ... most are about 15-16 inches in diameter ... and cost between about $60-$100 ... so $10 is a steal deal.

FWIW - your picture is actually of the bottom of the board. The other side (without the indentions) is the top. Sitting that way, if you want to pick the board up you have a space to get your fingers under the board - like a built in handle.

It looks like a nice board to me! Sure can't beat the price. And, if I got one as a gift I certainly would appreciate it.

One thing: I had a board with the pressed-together wood blocks many years ago. I loved it. I don't remember how it happened now, but somehow it ended up partially or wholly submerged in water for too long, and some of the squares loosened, and one came out altogether.

I know it's standard knowledge that you shouldn't leave any board in water for any length of time, but I think single-plank boards are more forgiving, so long as you don't expose them to water for more than a short time. But with the little squares, you have to be doubly careful.

Back
Top Bottom