"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Cook

Question Wax paper and aluminum foil: which side contacts food

I am laying a sheet of wax paper on a plate to prevent hot food from sticking on to the plate. However, I am not sure which side is up or down; there is one side dull but another shinny. Is the shinny side having the wax coating on that should contact hot food?

Similar question for the aluminum foil too, I head that the shinny side is toxic when contacting with food. I have always touch food with the dull side. Is it correct?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've never paid much attention to which side is which except for aluminum foil but only when keeping foods hot or cold I always wrap or cover with the shiny side facing the outside.
And I don't even know if I'm doing that right....as far insulation is concerned....

With a space blanket, for instance, you face the reflective side towards you to keep you warm. Perhaps I should be doing the same with aluminum foil and food.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It doesn't matter. Neither is toxic and neither is going to leach anything into your food.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueh View Post
I am laying a sheet of wax paper on a plate to prevent hot food from sticking on to the plate. However, I am not sure which side is up or down; there is one side dull but another shinny. Is the shinny side having the wax coating on that should contact hot food?

Similar question for the aluminum foil too, I head that the shinny side is toxic when contacting with food. I have always touch food with the dull side. Is it correct?

Thanks
If either side of foil was toxic, it wouldn't usable for any sort of food purpose. I don't know where you might have picked that up, but it's totally false. I use foil a lot, and it makes absolutely no difference which side touches the food.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Head Chef

The shiny side of aluminum foil has been "polished" to make it a bit less likely to have food stick to it.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
The shiny side of aluminum foil has been "polished" to make it a bit less likely to have food stick to it.
Aluminum foil is ruled out to a specified thickness. It is rolled doubled up so it won't break during the rolling process then separated for packaging. The two sides that were face to face are duller while the opposing sides are shinier.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

You can use parchment paper if you're trying to prevent food from sticking while baking, for instance.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
You can use parchment paper if you're trying to prevent food from sticking while baking, for instance.
Foil is notorious for sticking with food. That's why Reynolds came out with non-stick foil.

Parchment is a much better choice to prevent food sticking. Wax paper should work pretty well too but doesn't deal with heat as well.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #9
Head Chef

Thanks for correcting my about the shiny side of foil, I always thought they shined it up. It's just a part of the manufacturing process?

That non-stick aluminum foil is great. It's pricey. I use it sparingly as if it was gold foil.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Foil is notorious for sticking with food. That's why Reynolds came out with non-stick foil.

Parchment is a much better choice to prevent food sticking. Wax paper should work pretty well too but doesn't deal with heat as well.
Unfortunately, you can not wrap hot food in wax paper. It causes the very light coat of wax on the paper to melt onto the food. It is paraffin was, so it is food safe.

For foil, in the event you don't have the non stick foil, then give the sheet of regular foil a light spray with Spam or like product.

If you are using the plastic wrap for covering bread dough for rising, you should spray that also, so that the dough doesn't stick to it as it rises to the top and touches it.

The moral of the story, when in doubt, spray it.

Tags
food, oil