Whasit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You realize to do that you need to sit on a sheet of ice in the cold right? Brrrrr...

Not if you build a toasty, warm ice shack, with a half floor. You just sit on the bench with your freinds, drink your favorite beverage (and yes, that would be milk for me.), tell tall tales, and wait for the fish to bite, then pull them up through the holes. You only have to take the ice off of the outside holes when you go out to check your tip-ups.:D

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of he North

I use the egg shell halves to separate egg whites. I used to ice-fish, but quit when I went out to fish at the impoundment on Bald Eagle Creek in Pennsylvania one evening. It created a very large lake. Cut a hole in the ice and looked in...the ice was about five feet above the water. They had drawn water off to break the ice and relieve pressure on the dam. It just hadn't dropped...yet.

I use the egg shell halves to separate egg whites. I used to ice-fish, but quit when I went out to fish at the impoundment on Bald Eagle Creek in Pennsylvania one evening. It created a very large lake. Cut a hole in the ice and looked in...the ice was about five feet above the water. They had drawn water off to break the ice and relieve pressure on the dam. It just hadn't dropped...yet.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: at the end of your stories, I generally laugh and want to say 'gadzooks'!:LOL:

I would have loved to see the look on your face when you discovered that the ice was suspended 5 feet above the water. I know that I would have been very nervous on that ice, and probably would have belly crawled back to the shore.:LOL: It just sounds like a spooky situation to me.

How thick was the ice, and, does it really matter?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm putting together a band

mine is a boing generator, like frank's. it came in a kit from a music store along with a jews harp, musical saw, and slinky.
I can blow and thump a bass groove with a milk jug. BT & FZ, the boingo section's yours if you want to join. Anyone else is welcome, just name the kitchen implement that's your instrument. I can get us some gigs at several youtube channels. The band splits payment in chocolate chip cookies. I also need suggestions for naming the band.

I would have loved to see the look on your face when you discovered that the ice was suspended 5 feet above the water. I know that I would have been very nervous on that ice, and probably would have belly crawled back to the shore.:LOL: It just sounds like a spooky situation to me.

How thick was the ice, and, does it really matter?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ice was about a foot thick, maybe. Maybe a little less. It began to break up and drop two or three days later.

Last edited:
I think one person mentioned the old way, the chef like skills that I thought we all learned. You crack the shell in half over a bowl, let the white drain out of half while holding the yolk in the other half (along with some white), then you pour the yolk into the empty half and dump the white in the dish, then back and forth a few more times until an empty shell holds the unbroken yolk.

I can't imagine I was the only person to learn this. You all know this, right?

I think one person mentioned the old way, the chef like skills that I thought we all learned. You crack the shell in half over a bowl, let the white drain out of half while holding the yolk in the other half (along with some white), then you pour the yolk into the empty half and dump the white in the dish, then back and forth a few more times until an empty shell holds the unbroken yolk.

Yes, but I find that the shell sometimes pokes a hole in the yolk. I like use my fingers.

I do. It was how I learned. The first time I saw an egg separator, I thought it was a great idea. Then I saw someone do it in their hand and I thought it was a good idea. But I still do it with the egg shell. It is what I learned as a kid. :chef:

Perhaps it is the wrong way but I crack the egg into my clean hand, let the white run into the bowl and dump the yolk in another, Works for me!

i'm in spork. although your stage name should be boom boom.

back on topic, i use the eggshell halves method to seperate the yolk from the albumen. taking it a step further, i break the eggs over a black bowl so any bits of eggshell are plainly visible and easier to fish out.

i said easier because those little suckers ride a compression wave in front of your finger or spoon to try to get away, lol.

i'm in spork. although your stage name should be boom boom.

back on topic, i use the eggshell halves method to seperate the yolk from the albumen. taking it a step further, i break the eggs over a black bowl so any bits of eggshell are plainly visible and easier to fish out.

i said easier because those little suckers ride a compression wave in front of your finger or spoon to try to get away, lol.

bt, use the edge of the egg shell to pick out that little piece that wants to elude you for the rest of your life. The bit of shell is drawn to the larger shell piece. :chef:

...i said easier because those little suckers ride a compression wave in front of your finger or spoon to try to get away, lol.

You will be surprised how much easier it is to scoop out those bit of shell if you use as bigger section of shell as a scoop.

I said easier...

I like to use my fingers too, particularly when counting. :)

But seriously, I can probably break a couple dozen eggs and break maybe only 1-2 yolks. I'm no super chef. I can't imagine this is any particular skill that can't be acquired in only 1-2 months.

I was amazed a couple years ago when entirely by instinct I grasped an egg with one hand and cracked the shell and then still holding the egg in one hand I just threw the egg into the skillet, retaining the shell in my hand. I looked it it and I looked at the skillet, and I thought WTH? I never did that before!!! I didn't even consciously intend to do what I did. I just cracked the egg and sort of used my thumb to widen the crack and threw the egg into the skillet. I wondered if I had been watching too many TV cooking programs. But ever since then I don't even crack eggs over bowls. I just crack them on the counter and throw them into the skillet (or mixing bowl or other container). (Unless I need to separate yolks and whites of course.)

I'm not so sure we need so many fancy tools. Lots of times techniques are better than tools. I still don't know what got into me with my one handed egg cracking technique.I don't need any tool to separate yolks from whites. I don't think anybody else does either, except those who manufacture such implements..

Last edited:
I like to use my fingers too, particularly when counting. :)

But seriously, I can probably break a couple dozen eggs and break maybe only 1-2 yolks. I'm no super chef. I can't imagine this is any particular skill that can't be acquired in only 1-2 months.

I was amazed a couple years ago when entirely by instinct I grasped an egg with one hand and cracked the shell and then still holding the egg in one hand I just threw the egg into the skillet, retaining the shell in my hand. I looked it it and I looked at the skillet, and I thought WTH? I never did that before!!! I didn't even consciously intend to do what I did. I just cracked the egg and sort of used my thumb to widen the crack and threw the egg into the skillet. I wondered if I had been watching too many TV cooking programs. But ever since then I don't even crack eggs over bowls. I just crack them on the counter and throw them into the skillet (or mixing bowl or other container). (Unless I need to separate yolks and whites of course.)

I'm not so sure we need so many fancy tools. Lots of times techniques are better than tools. I still don't know what got into me with my one handed egg cracking technique.I don't need any tool to separate yolks from whites. I don't think anybody else does either, except those who manufacture such implements..

I can do that with an egg in each hand...doing 50 dozen eggs for hungry students brings out the best in you.

bt, use the edge of the egg shell to pick out that little piece that wants to elude you for the rest of your life. The bit of shell is drawn to the larger shell piece. :chef:

You will be surprised how much easier it is to scoop out those bit of shell if you use as bigger section of shell as a scoop.

I said easier...

Yup, use a bigger piece of the shell to fish out the small ones. I don't know why, but it does work better. My mommy taught me that. :):) :chef:

One of the things I have noticed (of late) is some warnings about contact of the white and yolks of eggs with the outside shell. The warnings are for using raw or lightly cooked eggs (mayo, hollandaise, etc) and not when you are fully cooking the egg.

I also understand people are more and more paranoid all the time. I mean really, how am I supposed to crack the egg without running any risk of "contamination" of the white? :)

Back
Top Bottom