"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My kitchenaid mixer. Yeah I can make most things with a hand mixer, but this makes everything so easy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Many of the things mentioned are valuable in my kitchen. But the one thing that truly changed the way I cook is the Sous Vide Supreme. Whether you have the water oven or the circulator, it dramatically changes the entire process of cooking.

Other quality tools make the job easier, but cooking sous vide is an entirely different way to cook.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd have to say that getting my first microwave made the biggest change in how I cook. I know I wasted a lot of food by trying to reheat something using the stove. I burned a lot of leftovers!

The most recent change is a mandolin. I bought a slicer a few years ago, but kept forgetting to use it. More recently someone who was moving gave me one that has adjustable widths which uses a small sliding button. I finally started using it more and more. I especially like making extra thin onion slices that cook quickly plus getting nice even slices of carrots and summer squash.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What has changed my life in the kitchen is my SousChef.

Since I was lucky enough to marry him seven years ago, he does everything in the kitchen I don't like to do, and never complains about any of it. If I want to be left alone, he does that too. It makes cooking a joy instead of a chore. Doesn't get better than that.
Where did you get him from and do they have any left?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Where did you get him from and do they have any left?
Sad to say I think they broke the mold with him MC. I never had any help at all in the kitchen before him, so I know he's a dream come true for countless reasons beyond the kitchen.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Electricity and running water...
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd have to say that getting my first microwave made the biggest change in how I cook. I know I wasted a lot of food by trying to reheat something using the stove. I burned a lot of leftovers!

The most recent change is a mandolin. I bought a slicer a few years ago, but kept forgetting to use it. More recently someone who was moving gave me one that has adjustable widths which uses a small sliding button. I finally started using it more and more. I especially like making extra thin onion slices that cook quickly plus getting nice even slices of carrots and summer squash.
I know what you mean by 'thin onion slices." And if you insist on putting onion slices in a salad, the thin ones are better. You can get just as many thin slices from a half an onion as you can regular slices from a whole one. And the flavor of the onion hasn't taken over the whole salad.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Electricity and running water...
My girlfriend in Atlanta had a frozen water pipe break this winter. When I was talking to her, she made the remark, "Who said indoor plumbing was a blessing?"
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

An 8 inch chef's knife. Other knives are too long for me to comfortably use, and as we know, like Goldilocks, paring knives are too small for major tasks. 8 inch knife is Perfect for me.

2ndly, getting a new (two years ago) weber charcoal grill. The gasser died, and the old wobbly legged weber was downright dangerous. The weber design seals tight like an oven, holds heat evenly, uses less charcoal, has inserts for coal mgmt. easy for direct/ indirect cooking, add a few gadgets like a wok pan, and one needn't heat up the kitchen in summer.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #30
Master Chef

Good quality knives. About half a dozen years ago, after decades of working with adequate knives, Himself got me a Zwilling paring knife. I. Fell. In. Love. That got me to pulling out the boning knife my Dad talked a butcher out of (I always thought it was too big/sharp/scary to use before that) and looking for a properly sized chef's knife. Although I have owned two previous chef's knives, they were too long in relationship to my height. Our son (6' 2") got my 10" one and our daughter (5' 9") got my 9" one when I bought a Dexter-Russell 8" chef's knife a couple years ago. Perfect for my 5' 5 1/2" frame.

After that, I suppose whatever handy kitchen device I'm most fond of at the moment. I'll go through bread-making spurts and love my bread machine for its "dough" setting. I love my (Mom's) old Oster Kitchen Center when I need a stand mixer or blender or meat grinder. But I use those appliances only occasionally. I use my knives ever day.

Tags
cook, cooking