"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
I am blessed with what I have. If I didn't have a kitchen as nice as what I have, I would still enjoy the kitchen. I had a very small kitchen for 16 years, and I was still able to do everything I wanted to in it. When we built this house about 17 years ago, the kitchen and the garage were the main focus. They still are, along with the deck for cooking out and relaxing. I never met a kitchen I didn't like. As for the question on this thread...it's a little personal!
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
I grew up hanging out in the kitchen, it was where everyone ended up at family gatherings and darned if I didn't marry into a family that does the same. Many of my favorite memories include a dining table.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Okay, now that is TMI!!!
He's just being honest and cracking me up.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My kitchen is too small to do anything but cooking, making cocktails, and feeding the cat.

I would love to have a nice big kitchen. I have had that in the past and I really enjoy having company while I cook.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My kitchen is too small to do anything but cooking, making cocktails, and feeding the cat.

I would love to have a nice big kitchen. I have had that in the past and I really enjoy having company while I cook.
If you are ever in Colorado, stop by and we can cook together.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
He's just being honest and cracking me up.
The drinking milk out of the container was what got to me...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I grew up hanging out in the kitchen, it was where everyone ended up at family gatherings and darned if I didn't marry into a family that does the same. Many of my favorite memories include a dining table.
I've always said, it would be interesting to hear everything a table can tell us about what has been spoken around/above it. I can imagine it could be quite enlightening, embarrassing and heartwarming.

So, what do we do in our kitchen? Mostly cook and visit with family and friends. No TV, no computer. I've never been much of a TV-watcher, so that's not something I feel is needed in the kitchen. Glenn watches even less television than I, as did Buck. End even though I've had a computer for nearly 13 years, I don't seem to need it in the kitchen.

Having said that, our kitchen is very, very cooking-friendly and very...friendly. Guess that's part of the reason folks congregate there when they're here. Plus, our living areas are quite open, with the living room, dining room and kitchen flowing flawlessly into each other. There really aren't any walls separating them, just support "posts" at the necessary strategic places.

The kitchen has good lighting, plenty of counters and more than ample room to move around in. We hosted Christmas dinner for the whole family, more than 12 guests, and there were plenty of "helpers" in the kitchen but no mishaps and enough elbow room to suit everyone.

The only real non-kitchen functions that are performed in the kitchen are occasionally we will sit at the table and write out checks for a bill or two, address an envelope, etc., along with (about 3 times per year) the making of a batch of homemade laundry detergent. Oh, I almost forgot, that's where I give Glenn his haircuts, too.

I really love our kitchen and appreciate it after having spent so many years in the kitchen of the home Buck and I shared before he died. That kitchen needed serious help. I always said that it was one step above a campfire. Still, I never seemed to be hampered and always was able to end up with more than acceptable culinary delights.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've always said, it would be interesting to hear everything a table can tell us about what has been spoken around/above it. I can imagine it could be quite enlightening, embarrassing and heartwarming.

So, what do we do in our kitchen? Mostly cook and visit with family and friends. No TV, no computer. I've never been much of a TV-watcher, so that's not something I feel is needed in the kitchen. Glenn watches even less television than I, as did Buck. End even though I've had a computer for nearly 13 years, I don't seem to need it in the kitchen.

Having said that, our kitchen is very, very cooking-friendly and very...friendly. Guess that's part of the reason folks congregate there when they're here. Plus, our living areas are quite open, with the living room, dining room and kitchen flowing flawlessly into each other. There really aren't any walls separating them, just support "posts" at the necessary strategic places.

The kitchen has good lighting, plenty of counters and more than ample room to move around in. We hosted Christmas dinner for the whole family, more than 12 guests, and there were plenty of "helpers" in the kitchen but no mishaps and enough elbow room to suit everyone.

The only real non-kitchen functions that are performed in the kitchen are occasionally we will sit at the table and write out checks for a bill or two, address an envelope, etc., along with (about 3 times per year) the making of a batch of homemade laundry detergent. Oh, I almost forgot, that's where I give Glenn his haircuts, too.

I really love our kitchen and appreciate it after having spent so many years in the kitchen of the home Buck and I shared before he died. That kitchen needed serious help. I always said that it was one step above a campfire. Still, I never seemed to be hampered and always was able to end up with more than acceptable culinary delights.
I remember most vividly moving from the "kids" table to the "adult" table...it wasn't for the food, it was for the conversation. One Aunt was surprised that "a child" could carry on intelligent conversation with her elders.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #39
Assistant Cook
 
lumisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Egypt
Posts: 11
I always go there for eating, of course xD.. but usually I add whatever in fridge into oven directly. last time i baked apple with ketchup.. yuck x.x
I donno how to cook
__________________
lumisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I am blessed with what I have. If I didn't have a kitchen as nice as what I have, I would still enjoy the kitchen. I had a very small kitchen for 16 years, and I was still able to do everything I wanted to in it. When we built this house about 17 years ago, the kitchen and the garage were the main focus. They still are, along with the deck for cooking out and relaxing. I never met a kitchen I didn't like. As for the question on this thread...it's a little personal!
I bet if you saw the kitchen in my son's last college apt. you'd change that statement. It was too small to cook in! The oven could only fit a 12" pizza pan. The burners were so close together you could really only use one at a time. There was no counter space. The width of the galley kitchen was double sink wide. If you opened a drawer, you couldn't get to the sink. It was really teeny tiny and they had 3 people living there.
__________________

__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.