"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
haha this is true, but the goal of this product is to be a manual (non-electric) counter top grater that is innovative in comparison to current offerings. I seem to find that alot of people also use the food processor too!

nhl856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Master Chef
I like a mini mouli or zyliss rotary for relatively small amounts of hard cheese that I want finely grated. For larger amounts and softer cheeses (like cheddar the pizza cheeses) I like my salad shooter. I do wish it had a fine grate cone though.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Lastly, while grating with a box grater, do you typically hold the grater straight up and down applying downward pressure using the handle? or do you ever hold it in the air with a somewhat non-traditional grip. Even more, do you hold it on one of its edges against the table so the cheese slides to the spot where the grater is in contact? Thank you all again, this is great information![/quote]

All of the above but it depends on what I'm using the grater for. I also put it in a bowl and grate right into the bowl, with the grater touching as much of the surface of the inside of the bowl as it can.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I rarely hold my box grater in any position other that straight up and down, but that could be because I use the box grater at work where I have tons and tons of counter space and cleanup is easy. At home I tend to use the microplane slightly more often, because I don't grate straight onto my counter at home.

One problem I have noticed with the box graters is that because the 4 planes of it are rather wide, and the metal is fairly flimsy, its not uncommon for them to break during use. Box graters could definitely benefit from a more sturdy construction.

Also, a microplane with some sort of detatchable box to catch the cheese in would be nice. That would eliminate a lot of mess.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Send a message via MSN to C-Mart
I have a KA box grater with a rubber "foot" around the base and a detachable container that slips into the base. It is by far my favorite "quantity" and non-fine grater. People say that box graters are flimsy, but the sides on this one are nice thick metal with very sharp blades. I also got a microplane grater for my birthday last year, and I love it too! Its spectacular for grating parmesian for pasta and such.
C-Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I perfer the microplane followed closely by the box grater. If you are looking at you inventions going into professional restaurant kitchens you may be disappointed with your choices. Unless I am cooking for a very small catering we always use a buffalo chopper (a large machine where the bowl and blade turns) and we have attachements for shredding cheese. In a busy restaurant kitchen when prep is done you look for time saving devices. Example being able to shred 40# of cheese in 10 minutes.
When I conduct my in-home cooking classes I do recommend the microplane.
Chef Mark
Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #17
Head Chef
I use the microplane and the Box grater - they serve my needs very well.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Good sense of humor, independent, secure, and a GRATE Personality.

I like/prefer a microplane. They are easier to use and clean.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #19
Head Chef
I use a couple of microplanes and an old box grater almost exclusively at the moment. I plan to get the relatively new Microplane box grater soon... perhaps put it on my Christmas wish list. Like others have replied, I use different graters for different foods or different required results. I use my medium Microplane for harder cheeses (like aged Parmesan) and for zesting, and my old cheap box grater for coarser shredding and softer cheese (cheddar, jack, etc.). My fine Microplane is mostly for grating whole spices (like nutmeg). I don't seem to have the problem with making a mess that so many others seem to have commented on. If you use a larger bowl or a sheet of wax paper to grate over, the slight amount of scatter is quite manageable.

BTW, Microplane also makes a rotary grater for those like me who feel that nothing else is good enough..
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #20
Sous Chef
I have the OXO good grip 4-sided box grater. I use it for harder cheeses and root veggies. I slice "up and down". I like the large, non-slip handle and the non-slip bottom, since I apply a fair amount of force.

I notice I don't really use the smaller sides that much (too small).

I also notice that I seldom scrape the food all the way to the bottom of the grater. If I use the attached box, it lifts the grater up and I'm likely to use the entire surface in my stroke (more efficient since I'm using the entire surface). However, the plastic box slants inwards slightly and destabilizes the grater (eg - it slips on the counter - ouch!). Without the box attached, it is very sturdy and stable.

If the attached box was more stable (a different shape?) it would be a more efficient design. (Also, I find the capacity of the box is often too small).

You're the designer, so wouldn't it be neat if a box grater could be hinged in some way, opening up for cleaning (or storage) without affecting the sturdiness when it was "snapped together" when you were grating on it?

Also, maybe a different shape would be interesting to explore (?3-sided? ?5-sided? - there's 6-sided box grater on Amazon but I've only used the more usual 4 sided ones).

Think out of the "box"

subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote