What do you look for in a cheese grater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhl856

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am a design student out of Boston, MA and I am currently working a project to improve the cheese grater. Now, I am in my research phase and I am looking at the three main types of graters (microplane, rotary and box) to identify any inherent issues that I might chose to address in the design of a new grater. I have not chosen which type (or combination of types) I am going to design, but I was just wondering your opinions about the current cheese graters out there (From ergonomics to stability, to performance as far as cutting surfaces are concerned, storability, cleaning) any type, any opinion helps! Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to DC.

As for cheese graters, I have all three you mention and use them all. I have several microplane graters, ranging from ultra-fine to quite coarse. I also have a Mouli rotary grater, and two box graters. One box grater is the standard old-fashioned 4-sided style metal grater. The other one is a box grater that only has two microplane cutting sides.

I've been cooking for nearly 50 years and have accumulated all manner of cooking "toys" for my kitchen. Each of my graters are valuable to me depending on how I want to prepare my cheeses. If I want nice long thin string-like shreds, I will use one of the cutters on my rotary grater. If I want ultra-fine cheese particles, I use my hand-held microplane strip grater. For shreds of cheese between these two extremes, I depend on other cutters on my rotary grater or on the microplane box grater.

As for ergonomics and stability, I don't have any difficulty holding/using any of my graters comfortably and, as for stability, I've yet to experience any problem. All my knuckles are still in tact.

I can add to my comments, that I have carpal tunnel in my right hand/wrist, as well as arthritis in the same hand. I am right-handed, so using nearly any cooking tool in that hand can be a challenge or painful on occasion. However, since I don't spend hours and hours using any of my graters, there's never been any discomfort related to using them. I'm very happy to have them and really do use at least one of them every day.

Don't know if I've been of any help with your task, but it's interesting and I hope you do well in your quest to "build a better mousetrap.":)

I'm thinking that most of the issues you are attempting to address are more applicable in the professional kitchen, where large quantities of everything is done, as opposed to the home kitchen.

I like the "box" upright graters best myself, b/c each of the planes will allow you to grate in a different size. Another benefit is that the grated cheese falls into the interior of the box, minimizing the mess it makes, wheres a microplane causes the cheese to scatter in various directions.

I've never had problems using any of those varieties of graters, though I can see where a box grater could benefit from having rubber stoppers lining its bottom edge. When grating some harder cheese it can require the user to put in a pretty good amount of force, and rubber might help prevent the box grater from sliding on a surface with little traction.

Microplane is by far the best ... put that on a box grater shape for those who want that shape and you will have answered all dreams. I have every size microplane from x fine to ribbon ... awesome tool.

I`de go Microplane anyday of the week also, but the sort that has the catcher bowl and the grater is the lid (if that makes sense?).

the rotary and box are a pain to wash up really, whereas the plane type you have proper unhindered visual access to all parts and have little risk of loosing Knuckle skin when in a bowl of suds, the rotarys are fine too, but better if you whole heaps of cheese to grate, else it`s just not worth the messing about washing it all up when all you want is a cheese/onion toastie for one :)

I`m happy with my microplane type, it`s just Grate! :)

Just thought of something-

I know some folks who like to use the hand guards when using a grater or a mandolin... the problem is I haven't found one that worth the 2 cents it costs to make them. They always always slip, and if you happen to somehow cut yourself on a grater, chances are it was due to a terrible hand-guard.

Thank you all for your input so far! I've posted on a few other boards as well and noticed the Box grater is popular for its multi-purpose function (variety of cutting surfaces), but unpopular for clean up and often cheap construction. The microplane seems to be the favorite, but seems to make more of a mess because of the open nature. Perhaps some sort of micrograter with interchangable, dishwasher safe cutting surfaces? Also some sort of container to which the cheese/other foods you are grating are collected? Lastly, while grating with a box grater, do you typically hold the grater straight up and down applying downward pressure using the handle? or do you ever hold it in the air with a somewhat non-traditional grip. Even more, do you hold it on one of its edges against the table so the cheese slides to the spot where the grater is in contact? Thank you all again, this is great information!

nhl856 said:
Perhaps some sort of micrograter with interchangable, dishwasher safe cutting surfaces? Also some sort of container to which the cheese/other foods you are grating are collected?

Sounds like a pretty good description of a food processor to me.:chef:

haha this is true, but the goal of this product is to be a manual (non-electric) counter top grater that is innovative in comparison to current offerings. I seem to find that alot of people also use the food processor too!

I like a mini mouli or zyliss rotary for relatively small amounts of hard cheese that I want finely grated. For larger amounts and softer cheeses (like cheddar the pizza cheeses) I like my salad shooter. I do wish it had a fine grate cone though.

Lastly, while grating with a box grater, do you typically hold the grater straight up and down applying downward pressure using the handle? or do you ever hold it in the air with a somewhat non-traditional grip. Even more, do you hold it on one of its edges against the table so the cheese slides to the spot where the grater is in contact? Thank you all again, this is great information![/quote]

All of the above but it depends on what I'm using the grater for. I also put it in a bowl and grate right into the bowl, with the grater touching as much of the surface of the inside of the bowl as it can.

I rarely hold my box grater in any position other that straight up and down, but that could be because I use the box grater at work where I have tons and tons of counter space and cleanup is easy. At home I tend to use the microplane slightly more often, because I don't grate straight onto my counter at home.

One problem I have noticed with the box graters is that because the 4 planes of it are rather wide, and the metal is fairly flimsy, its not uncommon for them to break during use. Box graters could definitely benefit from a more sturdy construction.

Also, a microplane with some sort of detatchable box to catch the cheese in would be nice. That would eliminate a lot of mess.

I have a KA box grater with a rubber "foot" around the base and a detachable container that slips into the base. It is by far my favorite "quantity" and non-fine grater. People say that box graters are flimsy, but the sides on this one are nice thick metal with very sharp blades. I also got a microplane grater for my birthday last year, and I love it too! Its spectacular for grating parmesian for pasta and such.

I perfer the microplane followed closely by the box grater. If you are looking at you inventions going into professional restaurant kitchens you may be disappointed with your choices. Unless I am cooking for a very small catering we always use a buffalo chopper (a large machine where the bowl and blade turns) and we have attachements for shredding cheese. In a busy restaurant kitchen when prep is done you look for time saving devices. Example being able to shred 40# of cheese in 10 minutes.
When I conduct my in-home cooking classes I do recommend the microplane.
Chef Mark
www.chefskills101.com

I use a couple of microplanes and an old box grater almost exclusively at the moment. I plan to get the relatively new Microplane box grater soon... perhaps put it on my Christmas wish list. Like others have replied, I use different graters for different foods or different required results. I use my medium Microplane for harder cheeses (like aged Parmesan) and for zesting, and my old cheap box grater for coarser shredding and softer cheese (cheddar, jack, etc.). My fine Microplane is mostly for grating whole spices (like nutmeg). I don't seem to have the problem with making a mess that so many others seem to have commented on. If you use a larger bowl or a sheet of wax paper to grate over, the slight amount of scatter is quite manageable.

BTW, Microplane also makes a rotary grater for those like me who feel that nothing else is good enough.. :LOL:

Last edited:
I have the OXO good grip 4-sided box grater.
B0007VO0CQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56448439_.jpg
I use it for harder cheeses and root veggies. I slice "up and down". I like the large, non-slip handle and the non-slip bottom, since I apply a fair amount of force.

I notice I don't really use the smaller sides that much (too small).

I also notice that I seldom scrape the food all the way to the bottom of the grater. If I use the attached box, it lifts the grater up and I'm likely to use the entire surface in my stroke (more efficient since I'm using the entire surface). However, the plastic box slants inwards slightly and destabilizes the grater (eg - it slips on the counter - ouch!). Without the box attached, it is very sturdy and stable.

If the attached box was more stable (a different shape?) it would be a more efficient design. (Also, I find the capacity of the box is often too small).

You're the designer, so wouldn't it be neat if a box grater could be hinged in some way, opening up for cleaning (or storage) without affecting the sturdiness when it was "snapped together" when you were grating on it?

Also, maybe a different shape would be interesting to explore (?3-sided? ?5-sided? - there's 6-sided box grater on Amazon but I've only used the more usual 4 sided ones).

Think out of the "box" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom