What Do You Make Your Ravioli With?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to used one of those 'Ravioli grids' ( not sure of exact name of it). But I'd use my pasta maker to make thin sheets of pasta dough. Lay one on the grid, fill the wells with whatever the filling is, then lay another sheet of pasta dough on top. Take a rolling pin, roll over the grid to seal up the ravioli.
I had 2 of them, one for larger ravioli, another for smaller ones.

Unfortunately, i misplaced both, so last week, I used a pierogi maker to make my ravioli.
Id still use my pasta machine to make the thin sheets.
One side of the pierogi maker was like a cookie cutter, with the ability to cut a perfect round piece of dough.
Then flip the pierogi maker over, place the round cut piece of dough on top.
Fill the well with the filling, then close the pierogi maker ( like a hinge), and it seals it up.

On rare occasions, I've used won ton wrappers too.
At one food show i went to, Mary ann Esposito used wonton wrappers to make these pear/ cheese ravioli in a butter/ parmesan sauce.

"Pasta Bundles with pears and taleggio" in her Ciao Italia Five Ingredient Favorites Cook Book ( Page 47)

They were terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fante's Kitchen Shop

This is a link to " Fantes", an Italian cooking store located in the Italian Market in Philadelphia. Any time I go to the Philly and visit the Italian Market area ( the market Rocky jogged through in the first Rocky movie), I always stop at Fantes. I could be in there for hours. They have an Online site too. I posted the link for all their Ravioli devices.

I only made it a couple of times. I used a wheel crimper similar to these and a 3/4 ounce disher for the filling.

mfhQHWlEijbD6Bpm1FVI7fA.jpg
312DCDGB8KL._SY355_.jpg
2Q==
9k=
2Q==

I rolled out the pasta/dough as thin as I could with a rolling pin and plopped small scoops of filling onto it in a grid pattern, ran my finger dipped in water along all of the spaces around the filling, topped them with another sheet of dough, shaped/sealed them roughly by hand and finally sealed and cut them with the crimper cutter.

Last edited:
I do it pretty much like AB and PF do now. Much easier to me to do it this way. I use a fluted cookie cutter though instead of a rolling one or a dedicated stamp. I've got a set that are pretty tall and go from about an inch or so up to 4 or 5 inches in very small increments. They nest into each other. I've got a round and a square set.

I have the ravioli form/press kit thingy, just too much fiddly work to get the filling in the little indentions. I also have a ravioli attachment for the pasta maker, which honestly doesn't work too well as far as sealing since there's always a certain amount of filling in between the pasta sheets at the seams. And heaven help you if a pasta sheet breaks or gets a hole in it, the filling just gums up the whole works, you have to clean and dry the attachment totally and start over again. I also used to have the pierogi/dumpling white plastic set in 3 sizes I think. Not sure what happened to those though. The ones I had were really too big for ravioli, the smallest one would have been a raviolo.

At one point, I thought about getting the ravioli rolling pin but after thinking about it realized I'd have the same problem with the filling as the pasta maker attachment.

Last edited:
I used to used one of those 'Ravioli grids' ( not sure of exact name of it). But I'd use my pasta maker to make thin sheets of pasta dough. Lay one on the grid, fill the wells with whatever the filling is, then lay another sheet of pasta dough on top. Take a rolling pin, roll over the grid to seal up the ravioli.
I had 2 of them, one for larger ravioli, another for smaller ones.

Unfortunately, i misplaced both, so last week, I used a pierogi maker to make my ravioli.
Id still use my pasta machine to make the thin sheets.
One side of the pierogi maker was like a cookie cutter, with the ability to cut a perfect round piece of dough.
Then flip the pierogi maker over, place the round cut piece of dough on top.
Fill the well with the filling, then close the pierogi maker ( like a hinge), and it seals it up.

On rare occasions, I've used won ton wrappers too.
At one food show i went to, Mary ann Esposito used wonton wrappers to make these pear/ cheese ravioli in a butter/ parmesan sauce.

"Pasta Bundles with pears and taleggio" in her Ciao Italia Five Ingredient Favorites Cook Book ( Page 47)

They were terrific.
I use the same pierogi maker as yours.
I use it for ravioli/chinese dumplings. It's a really good little device.
There's a couple who make home made pasta who sell at the local farmer's market which I buy. Excellent pasta dough.

It depends on what I'm making.
Mine look like this, but I have it in 2 different sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/CucinaPro-127-12-Raviolamp-12-Squares/dp/B0001IXA1M

I have both a round and a square stamp, but I seem to have excess scrap when I use them, so they mostly stay in the drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Brands-Ravioli-Cutters/dp/B00BGR7C2U

I was recently given the KA ravioli maker that Medtran mentioned, but haven't used it yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and give a full report.

For the egg yolk raviolo I used a 3 1/2 inch biscuit cutter and made them by hand..

I have a single stamp. I think it's round. Haven't used it in many years. I assumed those who made their own ravioli had a more efficient means. I'm surprised some of you use the 'one-at-a-time' stamp as opposed to a device that makes a dozen or two at a time.

The tray and rolling pin combo seems to be the most common.

When you guys make ravioli, do you make a larger batch and freeze some for future meals?

I'm thinking about making ravioli again. The filling and forming seem to be less of an effort than making the pasta sheets. I don't have a pasta roller so would either make it with a rolling pin, use wonton wrappers or buy pasta sheets (if I could find some locally).

I have the same tools that Larry
has a small one and a large one.
They work great. I make my own
dough sheets.

Josie

I too have them. Have used the large one for raviolis and also to make a grilled cheese sandwich for a grandchild. He thought it was so special he too it home so his mother could make grilled cheese like that also. :angel:

I have had good luck freezing pierogi and ravioli. Years ago I used a small shirt box from a department store and placed the ravioli on waxed paper two deep, put the cover on the box and put it into a plastic bag with a twist tie. These Days I would use the large stryrofoam trays that meat, fruit and baked goods come on from the grocery store, still two deep with a layer of waxed paper and finally the plastic bag. The real trick IMO is to use the ravioli within a month and take it right from the freezer to the pan of boiling water.

The best thing to do is get a team together to make them, use half to feed them and send them home with the rest! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was recently given the KA ravioli maker that Medtran mentioned, but haven't used it yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and give a full report.

Actually, it's not the ravioli maker for the KA. It's the one that goes to our hand-cranked stainless steel Italian pasta machine that we got a couple of years before we got the KA.

The tedious part for me is making the pasta sheets, so I make those and freeze them. When I decide to make ravioli, I pull out a couple sheets , make the filling and then the sheets are thawed and ready to use. Parchment paper between sheets and into an airtight container they just fit into.

I use a can of Chef Boyardee and a can opener for my ravioli...

This is project is now mushrooming. How can I make ravioli of I don't have a means to make sheets of pasta?!

Does anyone use the Kitchen Aid pasta roller attachment and is it any good?

This is project is now mushrooming. How can I make ravioli of I don't have a means to make sheets of pasta?!

Does anyone use the Kitchen Aid pasta roller attachment and is it any good?

We have the dies and the extruder stuff for the KA. Didn't buy the actual rolller, but i have seen it in use and it looks like it acts just like our hand cranked one, just with a motor. Ours works great. The first time you run it thru, fold it back onto itself in thirds, stretching to make the layers more or less match. Then run it thru on the first setting again. This should make it into more or less a rectangle. Do it again if you don't get a good shape the first time. Don't be afraid of flour, you DO NOT want it to stick to the rollers.

Last edited:
Andy,

I have th KA rollers and I really like them.

Several years ago I took a pasta class at a local shop. They had several different appliances for us th work with, manual, electric, and KA. The KA was at least as good as all the other options. It's what prompted me to buy mine.

I would make the same choice again.

Back
Top Bottom