"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

What Do You Make Your Ravioli With?

Those of you who make your own ravioli, please tell me what kind of tool you use.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Head Chef

I used to used one of those 'Ravioli grids' ( not sure of exact name of it). But I'd use my pasta maker to make thin sheets of pasta dough. Lay one on the grid, fill the wells with whatever the filling is, then lay another sheet of pasta dough on top. Take a rolling pin, roll over the grid to seal up the ravioli.
I had 2 of them, one for larger ravioli, another for smaller ones.

Unfortunately, i misplaced both, so last week, I used a pierogi maker to make my ravioli.
Id still use my pasta machine to make the thin sheets.
One side of the pierogi maker was like a cookie cutter, with the ability to cut a perfect round piece of dough.
Then flip the pierogi maker over, place the round cut piece of dough on top.
Fill the well with the filling, then close the pierogi maker ( like a hinge), and it seals it up.

On rare occasions, I've used won ton wrappers too.
At one food show i went to, Mary ann Esposito used wonton wrappers to make these pear/ cheese ravioli in a butter/ parmesan sauce.

"Pasta Bundles with pears and taleggio" in her Ciao Italia Five Ingredient Favorites Cook Book ( Page 47)

They were terrific.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Fante's Kitchen Shop

This is a link to " Fantes", an Italian cooking store located in the Italian Market in Philadelphia. Any time I go to the Philly and visit the Italian Market area ( the market Rocky jogged through in the first Rocky movie), I always stop at Fantes. I could be in there for hours. They have an Online site too. I posted the link for all their Ravioli devices.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have the same tools that Larry
has a small one and a large one.
They work great. I make my own
dough sheets.

Josie
Old 10-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pasta machine and a ravioli stamp.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

I only made it a couple of times. I used a wheel crimper similar to these and a 3/4 ounce disher for the filling.

I rolled out the pasta/dough as thin as I could with a rolling pin and plopped small scoops of filling onto it in a grid pattern, ran my finger dipped in water along all of the spaces around the filling, topped them with another sheet of dough, shaped/sealed them roughly by hand and finally sealed and cut them with the crimper cutter.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

I do it pretty much like AB and PF do now. Much easier to me to do it this way. I use a fluted cookie cutter though instead of a rolling one or a dedicated stamp. I've got a set that are pretty tall and go from about an inch or so up to 4 or 5 inches in very small increments. They nest into each other. I've got a round and a square set.

I have the ravioli form/press kit thingy, just too much fiddly work to get the filling in the little indentions. I also have a ravioli attachment for the pasta maker, which honestly doesn't work too well as far as sealing since there's always a certain amount of filling in between the pasta sheets at the seams. And heaven help you if a pasta sheet breaks or gets a hole in it, the filling just gums up the whole works, you have to clean and dry the attachment totally and start over again. I also used to have the pierogi/dumpling white plastic set in 3 sizes I think. Not sure what happened to those though. The ones I had were really too big for ravioli, the smallest one would have been a raviolo.

At one point, I thought about getting the ravioli rolling pin but after thinking about it realized I'd have the same problem with the filling as the pasta maker attachment.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I used to used one of those 'Ravioli grids' ( not sure of exact name of it). But I'd use my pasta maker to make thin sheets of pasta dough. Lay one on the grid, fill the wells with whatever the filling is, then lay another sheet of pasta dough on top. Take a rolling pin, roll over the grid to seal up the ravioli.
I had 2 of them, one for larger ravioli, another for smaller ones.

Unfortunately, i misplaced both, so last week, I used a pierogi maker to make my ravioli.
Id still use my pasta machine to make the thin sheets.
One side of the pierogi maker was like a cookie cutter, with the ability to cut a perfect round piece of dough.
Then flip the pierogi maker over, place the round cut piece of dough on top.
Fill the well with the filling, then close the pierogi maker ( like a hinge), and it seals it up.

On rare occasions, I've used won ton wrappers too.
At one food show i went to, Mary ann Esposito used wonton wrappers to make these pear/ cheese ravioli in a butter/ parmesan sauce.

"Pasta Bundles with pears and taleggio" in her Ciao Italia Five Ingredient Favorites Cook Book ( Page 47)

They were terrific.
I use the same pierogi maker as yours.
I use it for ravioli/chinese dumplings. It's a really good little device.
There's a couple who make home made pasta who sell at the local farmer's market which I buy. Excellent pasta dough.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Sous Chef

It depends on what I'm making.
Mine look like this, but I have it in 2 different sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/CucinaPro-127-.../dp/B0001IXA1M

I have both a round and a square stamp, but I seem to have excess scrap when I use them, so they mostly stay in the drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Brands.../dp/B00BGR7C2U

I was recently given the KA ravioli maker that Medtran mentioned, but haven't used it yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and give a full report.

For the egg yolk raviolo I used a 3 1/2 inch biscuit cutter and made them by hand..
Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a single stamp. I think it's round. Haven't used it in many years. I assumed those who made their own ravioli had a more efficient means. I'm surprised some of you use the 'one-at-a-time' stamp as opposed to a device that makes a dozen or two at a time.

The tray and rolling pin combo seems to be the most common.

When you guys make ravioli, do you make a larger batch and freeze some for future meals?

I'm thinking about making ravioli again. The filling and forming seem to be less of an effort than making the pasta sheets. I don't have a pasta roller so would either make it with a rolling pin, use wonton wrappers or buy pasta sheets (if I could find some locally).