"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Cook

I use mine to grind, dried sourdough bread starter, for long term storage in the freezer.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the ideas! My family and I have been visiting New Mexico, and while here we picked up some sun-dried chiles. Maybe I could make chile powder from those?

I love the idea of making pesto with this.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Smile

The mortar and pestle would be of great use when preparing pesto or even guacamole. It is also great for grounding into powder spices as well as grinding herbs to create seasoning mixtures or paste. If you are into cooking thai food, the mortar and pestle would definitely come in handy as the key ingredients of thai food include crushed garlic, basil, tamarind, lemon grass and others to infuse these ingredients' strong flavor.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Mine is for decoration.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
Senior Cook

The mortars vary in how rough the inside surface is. We have a marble one that if you would try to break up bay leaves in it the surface is so smooth they just slide in a circle.
A granite one that is a little rough however breaks up the leaves easily. Saw a big Mexican one that was nasty rough and was told it was to grind corn.

My wife is a phramacist since they use to be used to prepare medicine we got into a little collection of them.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I use mine to make mojitos.....I squeeze the lime into the sugar and mash the spearmint all together in the mortar & pistle....I've been told my mojitos are the best!!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I crush grind herbs and spices in mine. I use a mocajete for smashing garlic and other gooey items.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I sometimes use it to crush garlic.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
Head Chef

Mine is used for all of the above, but lately I used it to help make onion powder from home dehydrating some onions (very aromatic process that drives everything live out of the house). The food processor only takes it so far and I don't want to contaminate my coffee grinder.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I am sorta of lazy with mine. I tend to raid marshalls,ross and tj max and buy the mary elizabeth spice blends. Then i will take tsp or a tbspn of say the kansas city blend, the garlic blend, the pepper blend and maybe the herbs du provence and crush it then coat a piece of meat with it, usually lamb and roast that and use at least some of the rest for the accompanying vegetable.
If I have some left in the morning i may hit the eggs with it.

It is not good for large amounts, i have a coffee grinder too... but to make a little mix for one meal or one dish it is the bomb.

Mine is glass, glass mortar with a very fine grit in the bowl and a glass pestle also with a fine grit. I will get a coarser one probably granite when i find one at a decent price at one of the above stores.