What is a wire rack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are used to cool baked good so that there is air circulation all around. Things that are baked in a pan like cakes and bread would could become soggy if left in the pan to cool completely.

wire racks

Besides cooking foods by letting the air circulate around whatever it is you are cooling (cakes and baked goods in particular). They are also great to coat foods with chocolate. Place the wire rack atop a sheet pan and the fruit or chocolate truffle (for instance) on the rack and pour the melted chocolate on top. The excess will drip into the sheet pan (which you can scrape up for use later) and the chocolate coating will be even and smooth.

A half sheet pan and wire rack are absolutely necessary when cooking bacon in the oven. It's the only way I've found to cook bacon perfectly and as grease free as such a product can be made.

I also use wire cooling racks covered with paper towels to lay out hash brown patties or potato pancakes and sausage when I make breakfast at the shelter. Helps de-grease a typical fried breakfast.

A wire rack on a sheet pan in a 250 degree oven is also the best way to keep fried food hot and crisp while finishing up any remaining last minute dishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom