"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What is the best method for storage of kitchen gadgets?

I have lots of kitchen gadgets and am never satisfied with my storage situation. What have you found to be an efficient and handy way to store them?

Old 12-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess it depends on the gadgets...

I keep spoons, spatulas, etc. in ceramic crocks near the stove.

Other gadgets are scattered here and there in drawers and on shelves.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

How to store kitchen stuff...

I found a set of plastic drawers at Walmart or Lowes. It has 4 pull out drawers, I got 2 sets and stacked one on top of the other. Keeps all of my stuff in order. I have a turntable holder, that keeps my more used stuff.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
mine are all thrown in two drawers... messy and hard to find anything. I need to find some way to organize things better or we'll go crazy!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I go back and forth from the drawers to the turning canisters and am never really happy with either. I think the real problem is I try to keep too much stuff "near at hand" and that becomes counter productive. As with everything else, I need to clear out.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I do a combination of what other's mentioned. I have 2 drawers of lesser used stuff - everything is really just thrown in there - a huge disorganized mess. Then I have 3 crocks/utensil holders near the stove. One contains wooden spoons, my favorite flat whisks - things I use on a daily basis. The 2nd one contains spatulas, long wooden spoons, big serving spoons & ladles, etc. The 3rd one contains different whisks. I have a 4th crock on a table in the kitchen - with the things that I rarely use: baster, etc.
It all sounds pretty crazy right now. Why do I think I need all of these things?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Because the minute we put them away - we do need them!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

For items smaller than the normal cooking utensils like vegetable peelers, zesters, melon ballers and such, I keep all of these, along with the large knives, in a large tool box.

The knives go below, and the small items go in the tray above. This tray is very convenient for things like measuring spoon sets, pastry bag tips, paring knives and such. They'll never get lost or misplaced as long as you keep them there when not in use. You'll always know where they are for when you need them at a moment's notice!

There's nothing worst to me than to need something that helps you in cooking and food prep and can't find it, especially when you know that it's in the house.

~Corey123.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef

One drawer for all the regualr spoons and knives, One Drawer for the Big knives and other unused gadets, one more drawer for some spatuals, paring knives and some other unused gadets.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Great suggestion!!

Only, I don't have countertops with cabinets and drawers, so that's why I stated above the best way for me to store the kitchen gadgets when not in use.

However, I DO have a heavy duty kitchen rack on wheels, but the drawer that's at the bottom is used for storing flatware. The two shelves above that are for the spices, and the two above those, one is used for the microwave oven and the topmost shelf is used for the rotisserie oven.

~Corey123.