"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Maybe garlic in cider or wine vinegar would be a better idea.
According to your site it said it could be in the fridge for one week so is that not true now?

In any case, what is it about the oil that would promote the growth that would not happen in vinegar? I have pepperoncini in my fridge that comes with whole garlic cloves in a vinegary liquid. So is that OK but not oil?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
According to your site it said it could be in the fridge for one week so is that not true now?

In any case, what is it about the oil that would promote the growth that would not happen in vinegar? I have pepperoncini in my fridge that comes with whole garlic cloves in a vinegary liquid. So is that OK but not oil?

The acidity of the vinegar provides a safe environment where the bacteria won't grow. It's basically a garlic pickle.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post

Botulism is an anaerobic bacteria, it doesn't need oxygen to grow, actually it loves places that no oxygen can get to. Oil is the perfect medium to seal out oxygen. Vinegar is perfect for stopping anaerobic bacteria, most things are reacting with the vinegar to create - oxygen!

That is the simple, down and dirty explanation.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Boy, all of this hating on the garlic press! I actually love mine. I have the Zyliss 12040 press mentioned in an earlier post.

I go through about 4 or 5 heads of garlic a week and find it to be a real time saver.
I saw your previous post. The Zyliss is recommended by Cooks Country I do believe. Is it stainless? I smash the garlic and take off the skin before pressing because when I pull out the unpressed bit it often goes into my cooking too. Can't imagine cooking without garlic. I use it pressed, sliced, mashed with salt, just about any way at all. It goes mashed or pressed fresh into salad dressing. My daughter sent me a garlic roaster that takes several unpeeled heads and roasts them in about 20 minutes. Good on crackers for hors'de.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #55
Senior Cook

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but, I LOVE my garlic press! It never lets me down. A long time ago though, I did have an awful kind, that, whenever I squeezed it, most of the garlic would shoot out backwards...that really sucked, but, once I found a better press that worked right, its been smooth sailin ever since. I use a Zyliss one now, &, its one of my best "kitchen buddies". Heck, I love it so much, that you could bury it w/me...I wouldn't mind a bit! LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but, I LOVE my garlic press! It never lets me down. A long time ago though, I did have an awful kind, that, whenever I squeezed it, most of the garlic would shoot out backwards...that really sucked, but, once I found a better press that worked right, its been smooth sailin ever since. I use a Zyliss one now, &, its one of my best "kitchen buddies". Heck, I love it so much, that you could bury it w/me...I wouldn't mind a bit! LOL
If mine worked the way it was supposed to I would probably love it too, but mine is the shoot backwards type lol
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Best gadget I've got for garlic is the Garlic Twist, so easy to use and to clean. Apart from just garlic its great for adding chilli and then twisting and mixing, then add some ginger, unpeeled, and twist to mix them together and you have a stir fry spice mix.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Botulism is an anaerobic bacteria, it doesn't need oxygen to grow, actually it loves places that no oxygen can get to. Oil is the perfect medium to seal out oxygen. Vinegar is perfect for stopping anaerobic bacteria, most things are reacting with the vinegar to create - oxygen!

That is the simple, down and dirty explanation.
she's quite correct. an environment sans oxygen that has germs in it can give a person unthinkable ails.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #59
Executive Chef

I have read the complete thread and found it riveting and informative.I thought an aerobic bacteria was a fitness video. I don't use a press ever since I saw Tamara putting the shot at the Olympic, it scarred me for life.I just separate the cloves and bash them with a broad blade knife remove the skins and chop.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I have read the complete thread and found it riveting and informative.I thought an aerobic bacteria was a fitness video. I don't use a press ever since I saw Tamara putting the shot at the Olympic, it scarred me for life.I just separate the cloves and bash them with a broad blade knife remove the skins and chop.
Exactly what I do!

Tags
garlic