What is the point of a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I crush my garlic unpeeled too. One of the advantanges of crushing it with the chef's knife, instead of unpeeled with a garlic press is that you can see any brown or otherwise icky bits and cut them off before they go in the food. :ermm:

For vinaigrettes I squish, peel, (cut off any icky bits), chop, squish by pushing down while dragging the side of the knife across the garlic, and then mince. I like it to be a paste for vinaigrette. I seems to help the emulsion.

When you do the squish and drag throw down a little salt. It helps to make the paste.

Even a 6 inch lever is a substantial multiple of force. But for most food, it's overkill. Whether to slice or paste, I usually prepare garlic with my knife, but I have been known to thumb-press them through any sieve I have on hand or in drawer. I also don't have a citrus press.

Last edited:
I crush my garlic unpeeled too. One of the advantanges of crushing it with the chef's knife, instead of unpeeled with a garlic press is that you can see any brown or otherwise icky bits and cut them off before they go in the food. :ermm:

For vinaigrettes I squish, peel, (cut off any icky bits), chop, squish by pushing down while dragging the side of the knife across the garlic, and then mince. I like it to be a paste for vinaigrette. I seems to help the emulsion.

For vinagrette I just take a couple of cloves of garlic and cut them in half, then put them in a small jar of olive oil. Then when I make my dressing the garlic flavor is infused into the oil already and I only have to add vinegar or lemon and some other herbs and seasonings as necessary.

For vinagrette I just take a couple of cloves of garlic and cut them in half, then put them in a small jar of olive oil. Then when I make my dressing the garlic flavor is infused into the oil already and I only have to add vinegar or lemon and some other herbs and seasonings as necessary.

When you leave garlic in oil, you risk botulism.

It's Your Health - Garlic-in-oil [Health Canada, 2009]

I keep it refrigerated and I use it up right away. According to that article it is OK then. If anybody leaves it out of the fridge or keeps it too long in the fridge, then definitely they should be careful of that.
Not necessarily true. How long is too long? How fast does the botulism organism grow? How much toxin can it produce in 24 hours? Do you know? Are you willing to risk the health -- even the life -- of your family and friends? Just because no one has gotten ill yet doesn't mean it's safe.

Here's what the University of California at Davis -- a leading agricultural school in the state that grows the most garlic in North America -- has to say on the subject:
BOTULISM WARNING

Regardless of its flavor potency, garlic is a lowacid
vegetable. The pH of a clove of garlic typically
ranges from 5.3 to 6.3. As with all low-acid
vegetables, garlic will support the growth and
subsequent toxin production of the bacterium
Clostridium botulinum when given the right conditions.
These conditions include improper
home canning and improper preparation and
storage of fresh herb and garlic-in-oil mixtures.
Moisture, room temperature, lack of oxygen,
and low-acid conditions all favor the growth of
Clostridium botulinum. When growing, this bacterium
produces an extremely potent toxin that
causes the illness botulism. If untreated, death
can result within a few days
of consuming the
toxic food. It is important to follow the directions
in this publication carefully to make sure
your preserved garlic is safe.

Last edited:
Maybe garlic in cider or wine vinegar would be a better idea.

According to your site it said it could be in the fridge for one week so is that not true now?

In any case, what is it about the oil that would promote the growth that would not happen in vinegar? I have pepperoncini in my fridge that comes with whole garlic cloves in a vinegary liquid. So is that OK but not oil?

According to your site it said it could be in the fridge for one week so is that not true now?

In any case, what is it about the oil that would promote the growth that would not happen in vinegar? I have pepperoncini in my fridge that comes with whole garlic cloves in a vinegary liquid. So is that OK but not oil?

The acidity of the vinegar provides a safe environment where the bacteria won't grow. It's basically a garlic pickle.

Botulism is an anaerobic bacteria, it doesn't need oxygen to grow, actually it loves places that no oxygen can get to. Oil is the perfect medium to seal out oxygen. Vinegar is perfect for stopping anaerobic bacteria, most things are reacting with the vinegar to create - oxygen!

That is the simple, down and dirty explanation.:stuart:

Boy, all of this hating on the garlic press! I actually love mine. I have the Zyliss 12040 press mentioned in an earlier post.

I go through about 4 or 5 heads of garlic a week and find it to be a real time saver.
I saw your previous post. The Zyliss is recommended by Cooks Country I do believe. Is it stainless? I smash the garlic and take off the skin before pressing because when I pull out the unpressed bit it often goes into my cooking too. Can't imagine cooking without garlic. I use it pressed, sliced, mashed with salt, just about any way at all. It goes mashed or pressed fresh into salad dressing. My daughter sent me a garlic roaster that takes several unpeeled heads and roasts them in about 20 minutes. Good on crackers for hors'de.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but, I LOVE my garlic press! It never lets me down. A long time ago though, I did have an awful kind, that, whenever I squeezed it, most of the garlic would shoot out backwards...that really sucked, but, once I found a better press that worked right, its been smooth sailin ever since. I use a Zyliss one now, &, its one of my best "kitchen buddies". Heck, I love it so much, that you could bury it w/me...I wouldn't mind a bit! LOL

Midnight_Merlot said:
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but, I LOVE my garlic press! It never lets me down. A long time ago though, I did have an awful kind, that, whenever I squeezed it, most of the garlic would shoot out backwards...that really sucked, but, once I found a better press that worked right, its been smooth sailin ever since. I use a Zyliss one now, &, its one of my best "kitchen buddies". Heck, I love it so much, that you could bury it w/me...I wouldn't mind a bit! LOL

If mine worked the way it was supposed to I would probably love it too, but mine is the shoot backwards type lol

Best gadget I've got for garlic is the Garlic Twist, so easy to use and to clean. Apart from just garlic its great for adding chilli and then twisting and mixing, then add some ginger, unpeeled, and twist to mix them together and you have a stir fry spice mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Botulism is an anaerobic bacteria, it doesn't need oxygen to grow, actually it loves places that no oxygen can get to. Oil is the perfect medium to seal out oxygen. Vinegar is perfect for stopping anaerobic bacteria, most things are reacting with the vinegar to create - oxygen!

That is the simple, down and dirty explanation.:stuart:
she's quite correct. an environment sans oxygen that has germs in it can give a person unthinkable ails.

Last edited:
I have read the complete thread and found it riveting and informative.I thought an aerobic bacteria was a fitness video. I don't use a press ever since I saw Tamara putting the shot at the Olympic, it scarred me for life.I just separate the cloves and bash them with a broad blade knife remove the skins and chop.

I have read the complete thread and found it riveting and informative.I thought an aerobic bacteria was a fitness video. I don't use a press ever since I saw Tamara putting the shot at the Olympic, it scarred me for life.I just separate the cloves and bash them with a broad blade knife remove the skins and chop.

Exactly what I do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom