What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what this is!

I've seen them all over South America in the banana plantations. They are used to form green bananas on their familiar shape with tapered ends. Workers go from banana tree to banana tree clamping onto the end of every banana to shape it so it will grow into the familiar fruit we know and love.

I win!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i would say its an ice holder or a device to cut ice from a cube, probably dating back to the turn of the century.

I doubt it's a medical object... simply because the cone comes together. Any biological instrument as suggested would need both ends open - this does not have that.

I don't know if it's a cooking object, but if it is I think it would either be a mold or a carrier.

Some speculums are closed on one end to prevent trauma during insertion ... especially nasal and, er, back side. However, the handles are connected to the bell in the wrong place, they should be near the edge on the big end ... and if that bell is 2" x 4" - that would be a big oriface and not able to be inserted more than about an inch or so. So veterinary rather than human use would be more likely if this is a medical instrument - especially since the spring holds it open, rather than closed. Humm ... maybe if you lived on a dairy farm you could dip it in warm water and use it as an udder warmer?

Quinnels are, if I remember right, football shaped - and all of the conical ice cream scoops I've seen are more conical, less bullet shaped, and have a button on the top to press the ice cream out (although that sure doesn't mean I've seen all of the antique designs).

It could be used to mold rice for presentation, or to make bullet shaped croquettes ... but I think GB has given us the best clue as to it's best use ... as a mold for Beldar's favorite French Meatballs! :LOL:

Last edited:
What a freaky little tool! I seriously doubt it’s medical. The body of the cone is mounted midway with hard stainless steel leaving only a 1 to 1.5 inch over hanging on either end. Clearly not enough clearance to be a spreader.

It comes together and is spring loaded, so is designed to pop back open with a set force (the force “k” of the spring), and this set adjustment again says no to medical as the setting could be too hard for some tissue. Further, the design does not suggest pliers, tweezers or cutters due to the shape of the cone as it comes together.

It looks to be either a scoop or a mold. Perhaps an ice-cream scoop designed to scoop ice-cream in a perfect cone shape for dropping into you ice-cream cone?

Maybe a wax mold for candles?

Can’t be a lead mold. Lead gets too hot, and this whole tool is SS meaning the heat from the molten lead would travel up the handle and heat your hand. A lead working tool would have a much longer handle.

Seems to be a scoop for ice-scream where you drop the cone-shape goody down into the cone? Or perhaps a melon or fruit scooper where you turn it upside down and drop the cone shape melon fruit on top the plate with pointy end up? Or maybe a wax or soap molds? Or a chocolate mold?

I’ve got no idea, but I’m betting it has nothing to do with medicine…..unless it is designed to make soft wax-like suppositories for large farm animals?

Gads, that thing looks like it could really hurt someone. I go along with the "do not use until you know what you have" crowd. Even then, boil the heck out of it first.

I shared the photos with my SIL who teaches at Mississippi State's College of Veterinary Medicine. Their consensus is a Speculum...Old and unusual...

I doubt that is is a speculum.
It seems to be something to mold or push something together not apart.

It definitely looks like a mold to me. I agree with the others who say it doesn't seem to be spreading "things" apart, but rather making something into that shape. Actually, I agree with Keltin about it making animal (or really kinky people) suppositories!

The people at the sale thought it was an ice cream scoop from Isley's

I saw a Pittsburgh Places show on public TV and remember them using a long pointed spoon/scoop to make the rocket or mile high cone(forget the name)

so are we all trying to help him figure out what it is or is this another game like guess what this is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom