"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Cook

I'm thinking that the fellow who started the Industrial Egg Separation thread would be interested in this device.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk12ul View Post
Thanks for the welcome Dave!

Yeah, I don't mind the hand method too much, but why not be entertained while cooking! It looked pretty cool when it was working on tv, very rube goldberg 'esq as mentioned. However, its in no way shape or form worth as much as a nice KA stand mixer, or a top of the line food processor with all the attachments you could get! I'm hoping its a misprint and its 34.50 cents, if so I'll post a video of it in action when it gets here ;)

Thanks again all!
To me the hand method is the best way for just a few eggs you can let the white run out of on hand and then transfer yolk to the other to get the rest if your hands are wet it works even better and you can gently pry of that little white thingy as well. The fresher the eggs the easier it is. I say this because when one wants to make a Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce you do not want even the tiniest bit of white and if this is mainly for your daughter that is all you need.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Heres one if you just want to have fun in fact I think I'm going to enjoy this site
Peter Petrie Egg Separator
Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I'm thinking there is someone out there separating dozens of eggs daily who would think $345 isn't an unreasonable amount of money for the boss to spend.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Executive Chef

egg separator

jpmcgrew, Gag Gift, indeed!! That's so gross!!! But a teapot could do that too. and it'd have a lid. you could probably find at Dollar Store.
My grandmother had a separator I still have. She probably bought it in the 50's/60's. I'll try to explain: it's a white plastic circle in a circle. The inner circle is bowed like a rounded soup spoon about the diameter of a chicken egg yolk. the inner circle is attached to the outer circle, made of the same plastic with about a 1/4 " gap, where the egg white drips out inbetween the two circles into a measuring cup or whatever you rest it on. the two circles are attached by a four point X(north,south,east west). It's all one piece of plastic, works great and I hope it lasts another 50/60 years.
It's probably still around. I have some kitchen places around me. I'll check them out and let you know. It's a cute, but simple and useful little toy, even a child would like using, and could use throughout her life.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
You can get this one at Sears for around 4 bucks American

Or yo can go all stainless steel and get this one for around 10 bucks
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If it was my daughter that had the allergy I would separate eggs by hand to make sure I did EVERYTHING I could to keep her safe.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef

CAINE; this loks alot like the one my grandmother, I have, but a bit more elaborate. We had no handle and it wasn't red - love the red! But yes!, gld my descriptio was clear enough that someone got it. It does work great. Stainless steal is not my thing. Looks too commercial for my oldfashion kithcen, but would work too, I suppose.
I forgot to mention, you need another bowl for the eeg yolk to empty in so you can go to the next egg. Fun though. And you need two bowls for the 345 dollar contraption too.

Thanks, CAINE. Pictures speak louder..........................
Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I got your description too quicksilver. My mom had one just like it made by Tupperware.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I was so excited CAINE and jpmcgrew I whipped that out so fast. Sorry about the spelling. I hope you understood.
Thanks,...................