"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is this type of egg separator called?

Hello everyone, now that I can post links, I thought I'd give this one another try!

I'm looking to try and find out what type of egg separator this contraption is called. There is only 1 website featuring it that I could find on the whole internet (there has to be more!). I saw it on TV last night and it works AWESOMELY! I just can't find any other site but this ONE and its WAY to expensive for something that seems so simple and cheap to make.

I'm hoping someone on here knows what its called, and could tell me if there is another source for one that might be a bit more friendly on the wallet.

Here it is: EGG SEPARATOR PRO

Please give me any information you can about this cool looking and very efficient beast!

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Ha ha ha ha. I'm laughing my head off. $345.00 Ha ha ha.
What does it separate? Dinosaur eggs?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Thanks, Robert

Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Ha ha ha ha. I'm laughing my head off. $345.00 Ha ha ha.
What does it separate? Dinosaur eggs?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Thanks, Robert

my first thought! they have to be kidding. lol made my afternoon, robert. and lol quicksilver

babe
Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Give me the two halves of the egg shell and I'll be fine. Unless you need to separate large quantities of eggs, I can't see the reason for this is the average kitchen. It seem to me that just the time to get it out from where it is stored, use it, and then wash it, dry it, and put it back, would take longer than separting the egg or two the "old-fashioned way"

But I did checked using Google and that was the only site that came back. It does look cool, but IMHO not $345 cool.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wow! That brought a chuckle to me too. I looked at the link, the design of this "passive" machine, and figured I could make one for about ten bucks.

The price must be wrong. No one would beleive that such a device could cost that much. It's ludicrous. Simply ludicrous. And in my best maniacle voice... Ahhhahahahahahaha

Seeeeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Looks like a Rube Goldberg gadget or an amusement park ride for gerbils. Unless you need to separate tons of eggs quickly, I don't see any need for it in any household kitchen.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I agreee with Goodweed and others. It's an unnecessary tool. And at that price, it's absurd. It's just a couple of pieces of SS.

Egg separating is so easily done with the shells or your fingers. There is no need to buy a gadget.

If you feel you MUST have a gadget to separate eggs, buy one for a dollar and invest the $349.00 for your retirement.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I'm very glad to make a few of you all's weekends!

I separate a lot of eggs. A little history on why I saw this on tv and thought it would be a nice gadget to have. My daughter has a minor allergy to egg white, yolks are fine as long as much white is off of it as possible. Hard boiling makes this quiet easy, but doing anything else, I like to separate and use a substitute for the white, and use real yolks, nothing beats a real yolk. While this gadget is not worth 345 dollars to me either (I've been doing it the normal way for years), watching this thing work on tv (ok, so it was an episode of the apprentice UK, the ice cream challange for those of you who saw it, its shown on there very briefly), I thought wow, even for 3-4 eggs this is quick and easy, I'm sure cleanup wouldn't be that bad, just some quick soap and water wash and rinse. It'd probably stay on the counter out of the way most of time, used, and slid back.

Now I've tried a lot of separators, they are all 99% the same. I haven't tried that face mug one yet, don't look too bad, but this contraption is much more my style.

Just curious of anyone might know who makes it, or if there is a name for it (other than PRO Egg Separator, of which there are tons, too generic a term). I have emailed the web site, and will post when they reply if they can get me anymore information, however, with such a rich and diverse membership on this forum, I thought this would be a great place to try as well.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend (on me!)
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I can see why you would want something a bit faster the hand and shell method. Makes sense. Oh..and BTW.. Welcome to DC!
Dave
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I can see why you would want something a bit faster the hand and shell method. Makes sense. Oh..and BTW.. Welcome to DC!
Dave
Thanks for the welcome Dave!

Yeah, I don't mind the hand method too much, but why not be entertained while cooking! It looked pretty cool when it was working on tv, very rube goldberg 'esq as mentioned. However, its in no way shape or form worth as much as a nice KA stand mixer, or a top of the line food processor with all the attachments you could get! I'm hoping its a misprint and its 34.50 cents, if so I'll post a video of it in action when it gets here ;)

Thanks again all!