"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is your favorite "can't live without" tool?

I am looking for a Christmas gift (or two) for my wife. Is there something you use in your kitchen that you think every cook should have? (tool, certain knife, spatula, grater, appliance, etc)

I figure what you all love, my wife may love.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Henckles 8" santoku knife and a bamboo cutting board. If she uses lots of fresh herbs, an Alaska knife with cutting bowl.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Senior Cook

If you are smart it will be a pair of diamond earrings!!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Senior Cook

And on a less serious note.......does she have a kitchen scale??

I also get a lot of use out of my double ended magnetic SS measuring spoons.

Progressive Magnetic Measuring Spoons - Set of 5 by Progressive at Cooking.com
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
If you are smart it will be a pair of diamond earrings!!
It's hard to cut into a good ribsteak with a diamond earring
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Then again. if the cook is unhappy and burns that ribeye to a crisp, who cares how good the knife is??
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

OK - here are my very favorite and most heavily used items in my kitchen - i love epicurean cutting boards in an almost unnatural way - they are fabulous:

This silicon spatula (comes in several colors). You might find it at a fred meyers or target but don't accept a substitute: Chef'n Switchit Dual Ended Long Spatula - Avocado - Yahoo! Shopping

This cutting board, in this size (you can find this in black as well - which looks great). Thin, lightweight, bullet proof, washable, heat proof. Mine survived an entire summer of cutting porcelain tiles during a remodel and still looks great - seriously. Amazon.com: Epicurean Cutting Board - Natural (22x10.25"): Home & Garden
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
Head Chef

A high quality electric mixer, such as KitchenAid or Viking, a good chef's knife, such as Henckels or Wusthof, a microplane grater, a good food processor, such as Cuisinart, and an ice cream maker!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #9
Master Chef

Cheap and simple, I love my measuring glasses. I have three different sizes: shotglass, four oz., and just shy of two cups (I think it's really 12 oz. but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look). Now don't get the idea that I'm cheap...those earrings sound like a winner to me! And as suggested by "merstar", a microplane is great too. Among other things,I use mine for Parm. & Romano cheeses...nice, fluffy, quick to melt on your spaghetti. Yum! Lastly, if you have fish regularly, consider a fish spatula. It's got lots of slots so the liquid stays behind when you lift the fish onto your plate. Silly little thing, but I love having it when I fix fish (in our house it's at least once a week).

FWIW, I like opening presents. I would rather have six inexpensive gifts than one big, expensive one. Or maybe it's just that I like to see my hubby have more to wrap....
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Head Chef

We're talking basic here, all somewhat less than romantic: a good quality veggie peeler - my current favorite is an Oxo, which fits my hand well and makes peeling less of a chore; a mandolin for slicing veggies into those nice, thin slices (my daughter calls mine the 'Watchee Fingee' and cautions me to use the plastic guard that comes with it). I hope Santa brings me a silicon baking sheet, which I would really like to have right now for Christmas cookies. A large and a small good quality whisk.