"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #121
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
luca, we have this dreary winter day here, a feeble sun just not up to the task. horizons are drooping, spirits failing--do you have a recipe for this, luca? what do i make for dinner? :(
A gorgeous polenta col brasato, obviously! And a bottle of good Barbera, to help raise high your spirits!

Here is the brasato, here is the (a bit lengthy, but this guy is a true Italian, I suppose), just use the beef sauce to top the polenta, as in the video, then serve it in the plates with the beef (you can avoid the Parmigiano cheese topping of the video). And for the Barbera, you can substitute it with any good, robust, red wine.

Buon appetito vitauta!
__________________

__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #122
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
A gorgeous polenta col brasato, obviously! And a bottle of good Barbera, to help raise high your spirits!

Here is the brasato, here is the (a bit lengthy, but this guy is a true Italian, I suppose), just use the beef sauce to top the polenta, as in the video, then serve it in the plates with the beef (you can avoid the Parmigiano cheese topping of the video). And for the Barbera, you can substitute it with any good, robust, red wine.

Buon appetito vitauta!
many thanks, luca, for an inspirational choice of meals to revive a sagging spirit! i love this polenta video! i love the dueling diners racing for the middle of the polenta board for the prize...this video is a treasure, as are you, luca.
the stirring of this creamy comfort (porridge?) should provide a welcome distraction from my gloomy funk, but if not, i have this robust fruity plum wine just waiting in the wings.--> on my way to the polenta store....
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #123
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
many thanks, luca, for an inspirational choice of meals to revive a sagging spirit! i love this polenta video! i love the dueling diners racing for the middle of the polenta board for the prize...this video is a treasure, as are you, luca.
the stirring of this creamy comfort (porridge?) should provide a welcome distraction from my gloomy funk, but if not, i have this robust fruity plum wine just waiting in the wings.--> on my way to the polenta store....
Yuou're verrrrry welcome!

And I loved that polenta eating competition, too. However, that nice couple would be no match for a professional polenta eater like me...
__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #124
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
What??? Worst sauce?
My sauces are all best sauces!!!

Like I said, would still be very good!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #125
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Luca I knew you were a "in the closet" Polentone
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #126
Cook
 
NZDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: French Bay NZ
Posts: 82
My knife sharpener ,
A sharp blade makes food prep and food styling easy and fun.
__________________
Like, why not, eh?
NZDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,040
I have an old stone from a friends grandfather. He used to go around the neighborhood with his horse and cart sharpening knives and scissors. I vaguely remember him. My mother use to give him her knives. A couple of swipes across the top and it brings my knives right back to sharpness like they were new. I wouldn't trade my stone for all the electric sharpeners. I gave my electric Chef's Choice to my son.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #128
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I have an old stone from a friends grandfather. He used to go around the neighborhood with his horse and cart sharpening knives and scissors. I vaguely remember him. My mother use to give him her knives. A couple of swipes across the top and it brings my knives right back to sharpness like they were new. I wouldn't trade my stone for all the electric sharpeners. I gave my electric Chef's Choice to my son.
Wow, that is so cool!! I wish someone would come to my house and sharpen my knives lol. I just use a honing rod that is like a file so it sharpens and hones
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Wow, that is so cool!! I wish someone would come to my house and sharpen my knives lol. I just use a honing rod that is like a file so it sharpens and hones
I remember him coming around with his horse drawn cart. He had two wheels inside that he made spin with a foot pedal. Kind of like the old treadle sewing machines. I remember the horse was a big brown one with what is called a blaze down its nose. I was scared to death of that horse. To a five year old, he looked so big and mean.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #130
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I still believe you can get all the sharpness you need between a steel and a stone.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.