"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #21
Executive Chef

My Food Processor. I use it for almost every meal I prepare. It saves me countless hours of prep work.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I have a very old butcher's knife that is all but destroyed. The blade is jagged and gnarled, and it is the BEST knife for cutting tomatoes ever.

My great-grandfather was a butcher and was visiting my grandmother when she was a new bride. My grandfather had bought a pig that had been culled from the farmer down the road. My great-grandfather did not have his tools but butchered the pig using a knife that came with the set my grandparents bought. When he came to the kitchen with the knife, he apologized for ruining the knife. My grandmother kept it for tomatoes and I felt really blessed to get it when she passed.

Kathleen
Butchering an entire pig with nothing more than one knife is a task I would run from. That's hard work! And then some!

Wow! (Unless it was a very small pig)

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
Master Chef

My daughter who helps me with meal prepping. I chop etc and put it together, start it cooking and she watches over it till it needs to move to the next step so I can move on to the next thing that needs doing.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
Wine Guy

Three things I treasure most...
  1. My ceramic serving bowls. They are all handmade and interesting, and there is a story behind each. Most came from France. Others are just one-of-a-kind pieces that we have picked up over the years. None of them match.
  2. The few Le Creuset pieces I own. I have two dutch ovens and a couple of smaller pots. Durable and well made, I know they will all outlive me.
  3. My Shun knives. For a very long time I used cheap knives. I didn't know what I was missing until I purchased my first Shun chef's knife. These Japanese knives slice through onions like butter, and even the hardest of vegetables readily submit to their awesomeness. I know there are other brands that are considered even more top of the line, but these work great. I've since purchased other pieces from the set (as I can afford to add them).
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Both of mine happen to be cast iron pieces.

I love my 10" cast iron skillet. It belonged to my Grandmother.

And I just got a Staub 4 qt enameled dutch oven which I love. Ive used it pretty much every day since I got it.

Old and the new.

Oh and I have an old Mrs Wagners Pie Pan. Its technically a tool but I use it for a decoration. Its pretty kool.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I already said my Food Processor is my tool in the kitchen do I treasure the most, but I hadn't thought of my "American Harvest" Dehydrator.

My dehydrator gets used more hours than any other food machine I've ever owned. Each year, I use it almost continuously during harvest months. Veggie rollups, fruit rollups and almost every veggie you can think of.

When veggie prices start climbing again, I have all I need at sale prices. All I have to do is rehydrate them briefly.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's really hard to choose just one. I am old enough that I have had time to collect most of the tools I really want. I tried thinking of which one would I hate to give up and I still get a long list.

I think I would most hate to give up having a refrigerator.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's really hard to choose just one. I am old enough that I have had time to collect most of the tools I really want. I tried thinking of which one would I hate to give up and I still get a long list.

I think I would most hate to give up having a refrigerator.
I agree totally. I've lived "In the field" while in the Army, for extended periods of time. Having no electricity and no refrigeration makes for an entirely different type of living. My Grandparents grew up during the mid-1800's, and I remember the stories my Grammy used to tell me about their life. Everything was much, much harder to do then.

A simple trip to the nearest town might take three days, so things at home had to be set for being away for that much time, you had to pack a horse drawn wagon for the trip, and plan for eating on the road for three days each way. She told me of raids by bandits, and even what she referred to as "Wild Indians". What a life that must have been.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I agree totally. I've lived "In the field" while in the Army, for extended periods of time. Having no electricity and no refrigeration makes for an entirely different type of living. My Grandparents grew up during the mid-1800's, and I remember the stories my Grammy used to tell me about their life. Everything was much, much harder to do then.

A simple trip to the nearest town might take three days, so things at home had to be set for being away for that much time, you had to pack a horse drawn wagon for the trip, and plan for eating on the road for three days each way. She told me of raids by bandits, and even what she referred to as "Wild Indians". What a life that must have been.
I lived in a log cabin for a few years. We had electricity and a fridge, but there was an old, log spring house. We never got a chance to use it because it collapsed.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I lived in a log cabin for a few years. We had electricity and a fridge, but there was an old, log spring house. We never got a chance to use it because it collapsed.

We had a similar contraption in the corner of our barn when I was a kid. It was a tank made of concrete where cans of milk were placed to cool until they were taken to the creamery. The cold spring water flowed in the top of the tank through a pipe and another pipe carried the surplus water outside to a large watering trough. It really did keep things cold. My father always hid his stash of beer in it!

Tags
kitchen