"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Our 6 litre Demeyere hot water kettle and 3.5 quart Atlantis conic saute pan are among our more recently acquired treasures.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
We had a similar contraption in the corner of our barn when I was a kid. It was a tank made of concrete where cans of milk were placed to cool until they were taken to the creamery. The cold spring water flowed in the top of the tank through a pipe and another pipe carried the surplus water outside to a large watering trough. It really did keep things cold. My father always hid his stash of beer in it!
We had a spring house when I was a child. On very hot summer days, us kids would go in there and put our feet in the water. It was ice cold and felt just fabulous. Mom would yell at us and tell up to get our nasty feet out of our drinking water!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
We had a spring house when I was a child. On very hot summer days, us kids would go in there and put our feet in the water. It was ice cold and felt just fabulous. Mom would yell at us and tell up to get our nasty feet out of our drinking water!
One of the camping survival tips I used to teach my Girl Scouts was that 'if lost in the woods and you came across a riverlet of water, always go for the water after it had gone over rocks. They have a cleansing effect on the water.' That is why you find fish hanging out around the rocks. The water is purer there. You can bet that the water in the spring house had traveled over lots of rocks and diverted to the spring house.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

my skimmers are the most important thing in my bag of tricks. I bought them in San Francisco and use them to skim the scum off my stocks and sauces.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayati View Post
my skimmers are the most important thing in my bag of tricks. I bought them in San Francisco and use them to skim the scum off my stocks and sauces.
I have never even heard of skimmers. What are they like? Do you have a photo?

And welcome to DC
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Right now the tool I most desire is to have my oven Repaired. I have referred to this on DC obliquely and often enough now that the subject is getting tiresome. However, there are only so many discretionary $$ / month and other things keep bumping to the top of the list, like needing an unexpected new furnace, that it keeps getting pushed back. I think it's not on the Feb list, so I'm hoping for March !! I can bake bread in a bread machine, but it's texture is not the same as Homebaked. O r home baked Anything.

The tool I most appreciate, besides a sharp knife. is my microplanes. I have several sizes and use them. I keep them Sheathed in my gadget drawer between two pieces of cardboard, the kind you get when you buy a new Shirt, duct taped the edges together and with a majic marker wrote the sizes on both sides of each. Looks doofy but keeps them protected.

Oh, and I like my spice grinder/ coffee grinder just for this purpose. Easier than a mortar and pestle. Oh, Oh, Did I mention an instant probe thermometer. How did I ever get along without this !!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I'll attach a photo tonight, but for now I find that the small to med. size ones work the best.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Being only 4'8" tall, and living alone. I have everything down where I can reach it. I do have two stools. But there are cabinets that are empty and will stay that way. One is over the fridge and the other is over the stove and hood. Whoever designed these apartments didn't take into account that the elderly shrink when they get older.
Maybe some would sympathize with me; I feel all kitchens are too short for me. I'm not extraordinarily tall (I'm 5'9", I think about the height of the average American man), but wish my counters were about 6" higher. I can really feel for Julia Child (over 6') and see how she got so hunched. If I'm having any back pain, I sit at my kitchen table so I'm not quite so hunched over.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Maybe some would sympathize with me; I feel all kitchens are too short for me. I'm not extraordinarily tall (I'm 5'9", I think about the height of the average American man), but wish my counters were about 6" higher. I can really feel for Julia Child (over 6') and see how she got so hunched. If I'm having any back pain, I sit at my kitchen table so I'm not quite so hunched over.
So...you need a sunken kitchen
Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire

I, too, am 5’9", and yes, I sympathize, Claire! Thank goodness I don't wear heels much anymore.

I feel really sorry for the big guys who cook.

Sunken kitchen, what a good idea, PF!

Tags
kitchen