"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #41
Master Chef

Gave up on heels when I quit working, and never wore them in the kitchen (wore them 3 1/2 inch, all the time at work, so you know at the end of an 8 hour + day, they came off). Sunken kitchen sounds good in concept, ha-ha. Except I like my wine when cooking, and can somehow see myself breaking my neck stepping down to get into the kitchen! Funny, my husband is almost as tall as me, and never had a problem with counter height. He's lost an inch or so in recent years. But I never remember him saying he thought counters/stove tops/sinks caused him to hunch over them. Yeah, those 6' plus people? If i were them and rich enough, I'd have them custom-made to be higher!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Gave up on heels when I quit working, and never wore them in the kitchen (wore them 3 1/2 inch, all the time at work, so you know at the end of an 8 hour + day, they came off). Sunken kitchen sounds good in concept, ha-ha. Except I like my wine when cooking, and can somehow see myself breaking my neck stepping down to get into the kitchen! Funny, my husband is almost as tall as me, and never had a problem with counter height. He's lost an inch or so in recent years. But I never remember him saying he thought counters/stove tops/sinks caused him to hunch over them. Yeah, those 6' plus people? If i were them and rich enough, I'd have them custom-made to be higher!
Beats having a step stool hanging around your neck!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Hi taxlady, here is a picture of skimmer(s) which I use at all times.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #44
Head Chef

Favorite tool? That hard to find long shaft sharp pointed (curled end) flipping tool for turning everything from broiling/bar-b-q steaks to turning over thinly sliced zucchini sauteing in olive oil. I got that simple kitchen tool as part of some kitchen cooking product I bought.

I don't even know what it's called, but it's handy at times. Flip flip flip with a twist of the wrist.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
The tool I most appreciate, besides a sharp knife. is my microplanes. I have several sizes and use them. I keep them Sheathed in my gadget drawer between two pieces of cardboard, the kind you get when you buy a new Shirt, duct taped the edges together and with a majic marker wrote the sizes on both sides of each. Looks doofy but keeps them protected.
You are the second one that I counted that said that. Mine came with plastic fitting covers.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

miy most treasured thing would be the 8 qt. ss stock pot my mom gave me when i got my first apartment.

it was from the first set of cookware that she ever owned when my parents got married in 1948, and i fondly remember her cooking so many of our childhood meals in it.

lol, and we soaked our feet in it, and scrubbed toys in it, and so on. i guess my parents didn't have a lot of money, so it was a multitasker. come to think of it, that was kinda gross, but mom always got it perfectly clean again. and the thing is indestructable.

it's a little worn now, but after i went to town on it with a ss cleaner it looks pretty good. since it's fully clad it still cooks great. i learned to cook many things in that pot, just like my mom.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayati View Post
my skimmers are the most important thing in my bag of tricks. I bought them in San Francisco and use them to skim the scum off my stocks and sauces.
Welcome to DC. I see by your pic that you are a chef in Las Vegas. YEA!!! My first husband was a chef. He was from England/Scotland and had a skimmer also. He had his own set of tools that I wasn't allowed to touch unless he was home to keep an eye on them. I just use a slotted spoon. I live alone and am trying hard to keep my tools to a minimum.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Butchering an entire pig with nothing more than one knife is a task I would run from. That's hard work! And then some!

Wow! (Unless it was a very small pig)
or, it was for a very dear daughter....
Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayati View Post
Hi taxlady, here is a picture of skimmer(s) which I use at all times.

Thanks. Those look like they would do the trick. I'll keep my eyes open for that. It would be handy now that I make stock regularly.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Butchering an entire pig with nothing more than one knife is a task I would run from. That's hard work! And then some!

Wow! (Unless it was a very small pig)
or, it was for a very dear daughter....

Tags
kitchen