What one tool in your kitchen do you treasure the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, we all have our personal favorites, but aside from my knives, I cannot live without my kitchen rock. I'm Cuban and Syrian, and my mother and grandmothers always had them in their kitchens. I remember my mom crushing garlic cloves, then using the same rock to tenderize the steaks she loved to prepare for us. I keep my kitchen rock nearby at all times because that's how I cut up fresh whole chickens without worrying about cutting myself.
That is most likely the world's first kitchen gadget.

my precious

My knife of course, I am world traveler...the only thing goes with me every where,, is my knife!!! at least..:chef:

I have been told I have rocks in my head.

There is an old saying in New England. You ask a man what does he do. He will answer "I am a farmer." "Oh what do you farm?" "Rocks", the farmer will answer. :ermm:

I bet a rock works great for pounding out chicken breasts.... I always end up with holes in mine when I do it :/

I bet a rock works great for pounding out chicken breasts.... I always end up with holes in mine when I do it :/
I would agree. A rock would come in handy for a lot of things. I use the heel of my hand to crush garlic and sometimes to pound out meat. The one thing in the video that I will not do is use it to pound my cleaver through a chicken.

I keep my kitchen rock nearby at all times because that's how I cut up fresh whole chickens without worrying about cutting myself.

I'm guessing you use the rock to kind of smash up the joints, so that when you cut it the joints are already separated and easy to find with your knife?

I bet the rock is therapeutic too! :D

That is most likely the world's first kitchen gadget.

I think the first kitchen gadget might have been a sharp stick. For spitting.

I would agree. A rock would come in handy for a lot of things. I use the heel of my hand to crush garlic and sometimes to pound out meat. The one thing in the video that I will not do is use it to pound my cleaver through a chicken.

I do that too, crush garlic with the heel of my hand. I sometimes feel a bit inelegant when I have friends watching, because of all the TV chefs who use the flat side of a big knife.

I agree about the cleaver. I wouldn't want to mess up the back edge of a nice cleaver that way. I use a rubber mallet, about $5 at Home Depot.

Dawgluver said:
Welcome to DC, Sandcardet! I'm not sure what a kitchen rock is. Do you have a picture of yours?

The perfect kitchen rock is smoothly textured and naturally tumbled in either ocean waters or rivers. It should fit perfectly in the palm of your hand and should not cause you any pain or injury. On the other hand, it should annihilate whatever you hit! Sorry, but I didn't have time today to take a picture of one of mine. However, if you google Amazing Kitchen Rock you can see them there.

Dawgluver said:
What?!?! My yard is landscaped with (free) kitchen rocks! We dig them out of farmers' fields and river beds!

Apparently cavemen and Native Americans had the right idea. A true antique!

You are absolutely correct! You probably have many perfect kitchen rocks in your yard! However, not everyone is so lucky as there are places where there are no kitchen rocks to be found. The trick is to learn to use it in the kitchen! Go out and get one, then wash it and use it.

I gave away my favorite mixing bowl this morning, a Norpro Krona SS 1.5 qt. whisking bowl with a flared-rim handle and hanging loop. Every omelette I've made for the past 10+ years started in that bowl. I've looked for another like it, or larger, with no luck, until yesterday. Turns out All Clad makes a set of three with the same handle but no hanging loop, but pricey, unless you find a set in a thrift store for $14. YAY! Gave the Norpro to a friend who cooks, and has taught me a lot. He used to cook at the Santa Barbara Yacht Club, many years ago.
img_1102795_0_56088a27cf308ac8cfc5536ddf79f16f.jpg

Happy omelettes, Bruce!

I always have a rock in the kitchen. People think it's funny, but it really works! I don't use it with a cleaver because you don't need a cleaver at all. Just use a cheap knife and it will go right through chicken bones really easy if you hit it with the rock!

I always have a rock in the kitchen. People think it's funny, but it really works! I don't use it with a cleaver because you don't need a cleaver at all. Just use a cheap knife and it will go right through chicken bones really easy if you hit it with the rock!

I never knew! I may be asking for a rock for my birthday!

Welcome to DC, Carmendar. And thank you for sharing.

I suppose if you live in midtown Manhattan a rock might be hard to find!:ROFLMAO:

I live near the shores of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan. There are more natural, water tumbled rocks around me than you can shake a stick at, not to mention the smooth rocks I can easily find in nearby gravel pits. At $6.95 apice as sold in the link, I've probably thrown a thousand dollars worth of kitchen rocks as a child, just to hear them splash. I mean, who knew?:LOL: I think I'll go out this summer and get me a kitchen rock.:D. I may have to pick up a few for my children as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I live near the shores of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan. There are more natural, water tumbled rocks around me than you can shake a stick at, not to mention the smooth rocks I can easily find in nearby gravel pits. At $6.95 apice as sold in the link, I've probably thrown a thousand dollars worth of kitchen rocks as a child, just to hear them splash. I mean, who knew?:LOL: I think I'll go out this summer and get me a kitchen rock.:D. I may have to pick up a few for my children as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Better to be a service rock than a pet rock, more fulfilling for the rock! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's somewhat ironic. I've known people who could be described as rocks, and yet, they were not useful at all. But a real rock can be a gem (pun intended):LOL:.

seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom