What one tool in your kitchen do you treasure the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill, that looks like the one I bought from Penzey's a number of years ago. I also have one of these.

Unicorn® Peppermills by Tom David, Inc. - Magnum Plus ®
I hope I've completed my purchases of pepper mills. I just received the Zassenhaus Spire that I ordered when my Cole & Mason doorknob acrylic with a sintered stainless cutter started acting up a few weeks ago. Since then I swapped the white pepper corns from my trusty Perfex to the cleaned up Cole & Mason and moved the large black tellicherries to the Perfex. It seems the black pepper corns were to big for the Cole & Mason to pass through its grinding mechansim. Guess I'll have to order a third type of pepper for the Zassenhaus. Glad I bought the Perfex back when it was 'only!' $60.
Only problem with the Perfex is its relatively small capacity and the tendency of its aluminum body to darken.

I know exactly what you mean, Caslon. We have a pair (large one, small one) and I'd have to push this tool to near the top of my "treasured tool" list. It's called a pig tail food flipper and our small one gets used, on the average, once a day. I wouldn't be without it when it comes to breading any type of food.

Mines called a Meathook on Amazon, but ironically looks more like a pigs tail than your Amazon's Pig Tail Flipper. Kinda weird funny, they're descriptive names accurately describes the other.

The curly cue at the end of my true "pig tail" tool flips food items with just a twist of the wrist.

Last edited:
For utility, my microplanes. For sentiment, an olivewood spoon harbors the spirit of my grandfather in France who passed away last year.

ATK had a great tip for the micro-plane. Keep it in an empty paper towel roll. I taped over one end so it wouldn't slide out. Now I am contemplating panting the roll so it will look pretty.

For utility, my microplanes. For sentiment, an olivewood spoon harbors the spirit of my grandfather in France who passed away last year.

I have a metal scoop, with a red and white enameled wood handle (the enamel is flaking off) that resided in the under-counter flour bin in my Great-Grandmother's House. It is now in my flour bin. I have many everyday things of hers that her children and grandchildren didn't think were worth anything. I can envision each one in the place she used it, she is alive in me.

I have a metal scoop, with a red and white enameled wood handle (the enamel is flaking off) that resided in the under-counter flour bin in my Great-Grandmother's House. It is now in my flour bin. I have many everyday things of hers that her children and grandchildren didn't think were worth anything. I can envision each one in the place she used it, she is alive in me.

I know exatly what you are talking about. My sister had my mother's red and white soup ladle and now her daghter has it. :)

I have and am very fond of my farmor's (father's mother) 100% linen tea towels. They are embroidered with her married-name initial. One set is hilarious, because the cross stitch initials are really poorly done. The other set are beautifully done, maybe by machine :LOL:

i love the way you put that....

I feel the same way about my precious junk. It is strange how we can give so much meaning and power to small objects, that no one else can sense. In the end memories are all we have. Like the old song says "Precious memories how they linger, How they ever flood my soul." :angel:

My pink plastic apron, which I use only for serious :)rofl:) recipes, and my wooden spoon, which I use for quite everything on fire.

Luca, I have missed you, welcome back!

If they make fun of your pink apron tie it around you neck and tell them it is a cape, like Superman! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Luca, I have missed you, welcome back!

If they make fun of your pink apron tie it around you neck and tell them it is a cape, like Superman! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks Aunt Bea, I'm having a hard time, but at the end I found out that I missed SO MUCH participating to this forum, so I'm back!

And no one can make fun of me while I'm cooking, or they will eat only their shoestrings!!!

Thanks Aunt Bea, I'm having a hard time, but at the end I found out that I missed SO MUCH participating to this forum, so I'm back!

And no one can make fun of me while I'm cooking, or they will eat only their shoestrings!!!

Shoestrings with your worst sauce would still be very good!:)

luca, we have this dreary winter day here, a feeble sun just not up to the task. horizons are drooping, spirits failing--do you have a recipe for this, luca? what do i make for dinner? :(

Back
Top Bottom