"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's best to puree?

So if I am wanting a tool for pureeing either fruits or veggies so for making sauces or just say a side dish what would be the best tool to accomplish this? I would like a tool I could use say to rice a potato for making gnocchi or doing a raspberry coulis or a parsnip puree. Is there just one tool I can get to aid in breaking down the main ingredient for this. Not sure if a food mill, ricer, or food processor is best for these.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You might consider an immersion blender, also called a stick blender and a boat motor. They often come with attachments that function as a mini food processor and hand mixer. It has the benefit that you can use it right in a saucepan or pot.

A food processor or a blender will also work. I don't think a food mill will work on all the solids. Only a ricer will rice potatoes but some of the other tools will puree them.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Head Chef

If the food is cooked, a food mill works fine.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have an immersion blender already, but my concern is that that may not help with say making gnocchi or doing a raspberry coulis where you wouldn't want seeds so wasn't sure if a food mill would be the best multi-tasker tool to use or if there was something else I am not aware of. I use the hell out of my immersion blender for soups already!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

You can't do it all with one tool. An immersion blender won't make gnocchi and neither will a food mill. If seed removal is important to you then you need a food mill. Only a ricer will rice potatoes.

A food processor will make dough for the gnocchi, puree soups and make coulis (but with the seeds). It won't rice potatoes. They all will puree cooked veggies and soft fruits (such as raspberries).

You can puree veggies and fruits then strain them to eliminate seeds. More work but it eliminates the need for a food mill.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Yeah I knew you couldn't make gnocchi (the dough part) itself with a food mill, but wasn't sure if it actually required a ricer to do the potatoes or if you could accomplish the same thing with a food mill. Food mill definitely seemed most convenient for anything that had seeds.

As I said I do have an immersion blender and I do also have a food processor, just wondering if the next thing I might need is a food mill for say a coulis with fruits with seeds to save some steps and if that would also work for the potatoes for making gnocchi. Trying to be efficient and not wanting to have to buy a ton of tools if I don't need to.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Head Chef

Not sure why one couldn't use a food mill for potatoes... that's what we used in cooking school. It's also what I use to remove seeds when making a coulis. One tool, no need to puree then strain. I have an antique one, and it was quite handy in cooking class when everybody was waiting their turn to use the school's.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Not sure why one couldn't use a food mill for potatoes... that's what we used in cooking school. It's also what I use to remove seeds when making a coulis. One tool, no need to puree then strain. I have an antique one, and it was quite handy in cooking class when everybody was waiting their turn to use the school's.

I agree. My earlier post was just to offer an alternative to the expense of a purchase.

I don't have a mill so I use a ricer for potatoes and strain seeds out when it's important.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Master Chef

A food mill gets my vote. They geneally come with 2-3 different size plates - one is just right for removing skins and seeds when making purees, and a coarse one for ricing potatoes. You can also use different sized sieves and push your food through those.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Fabulous! So now is there a particular food mill you all would recommend as I am planning ask for it for Xmas.

Thanks so much for all the assistance I really appreciate it!