What's one kitchen tool you can't cook without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bai_lin83

Assistant Cook
Let's suppose that you're in a kitchen stadium and you're asked to use only one weapon of choice to battle the Iron Chef greats... What would it be? :rolleyes:

Abs:cool:

well, i'm not likely to be in such a competition, unless they have a division for cooking grub, but I would need a stove, or source of fire

i'm with beth. i'd have to say fire.

you can prepare food with your fingers if need be, even cleaning an animal.
:sick:
but you'd have to be really hungry for that.

yeah you do have to have fire/stove for sure...
now after that I got to have some kind of spatchula.

Assuming the heat source is a given, I don't think there's much I couldn't prepare with a good knife & a bamboo paddle/spatula.

When we've gone camping, I bring my knife, bamboo paddle/spatula, one non-stick fry pan, & one saucepan. With just those 4 things I've been able to make everything from hearty breakfasts to Chicken Piccata for dinner.

ok I'm going to assume a fire (stove or whatever) is provided. I agree I can use my fingers vs. the knife so I'd have to pick my cast iron skillet.

With a heat source as a given, I'd go with a knife. Having spent three years RV-ing full time, I did learn to pare down on the kitchen level.

I'd also have to go with the knife. I imagine removing silverskin with your fingers to be quite difficult. And also breaking down a fish... good luck getting through those scales with your fingers.

Cooking Chopsticks. I know it sounds crazy, but I use them all the time and can't think of my kitchen without them.They are great when stir frying or plain frying or stirring. I admit they are not great for tasting stew.

I'm with the knife crowd. Beyond that, I'd have to say my pigtail turner is one of my oft-used kitchen tools. It's wonderful for turning any kind of meat and is invaluable for dipping and dredging foods for breading. No icky goopy fingers...ever.

As a knife has been so popular I'm going with fork. I can shred roughly with it (and my hands, which really are my number one tool) beat, fold, etc etc and turn whatever in the pan (I consider it a given that a pan and heat source would be available). I have even made frothy milk for cappucini with a fork and skimmed milk, so its a useful tool in a basic kitchen.

If I found myself in kitchen stadium, I'd leave, apologizing for mistakenly going into the wrong place.

I'm jumping on the knife band wagon. I take my knife everywhere. The way some people take their pillow on vacation, I take my knife!

Linda

Back
Top Bottom