"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

What's the purpose of parchment paper?

A stupid newbie question. I apologize to bakers and other cooks who keep a constant stock of rolls. What exactly is parchment paper? How does it survive in the oven? Can I use it in the microwave? When is aluminum an entirely different substitute?

I'd also like to ask for favorite nopot papillon recipes, whether in the oven or on a grill, but I want to understand parchment first. Thanks all!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I don't 100% know the answer, but certain items will stick to a baking pan but can be better baked on parchment paper. It may also protect the item from the browning effect of being right on a metal pan, but that's just a guess.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Parchment paper is a silicone treated paper that provides a non-stick surface for cookies, bagels etc.

Foil will not work as as substitute because it is not non-stick.

It is safe for oven temperatures up to at least 400 F. I use it at that temp for bagels. The box tells you the temp limits.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I've also seen people use it to bake faster. They queue up batches of cookies on parchment on the counter. When the batch in the oven is done, they slide the finished batch (parchment and all) off of the sheet pan and slide on the next batch.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I've also seen people use it to bake faster. They queue up batches of cookies on parchment on the counter. When the batch in the oven is done, they slide the finished batch (parchment and all) off of the sheet pan and slide on the next batch.
And that also prevents the cookies from sticking and over-browning in the bottom. I wasn't a believer until I tried it, now I keep a roll on hand at all times. Oh.. BTW.. is these cases, parchment and wax paper ARE NOT interchangeable.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I baked my sourdough dinner rolls on parchment paper the other day, DH (who used to be a baker) did a double take and asked, "Where did you get parchment paper?" He was surprised when I told him it was my second box and I had been using it for years. He thought you could only get it in a bakery.

Parchement paper sure beats greasing pans!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Parchment paper is a silicone treated paper that provides a non-stick surface for cookies, bagels etc.

Foil will not work as as substitute because it is not non-stick.

It is safe for oven temperatures up to at least 400 F. I use it at that temp for bagels. The box tells you the temp limits.
There is a non stick Foil available
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
And that also prevents the cookies from sticking and over-browning in the bottom. I wasn't a believer until I tried it, now I keep a roll on hand at all times. Oh.. BTW.. is these cases, parchment and wax paper ARE NOT interchangeable.
Hee hee.... that's something I learned on my own. Fortunately only happened once -- over several pans, though.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
My favorite use of parchment paper is for pizza. I preheat my pizza stone to 450, form the pizza crust, pop it onto the paper, add toppings then, carefully (a 2 person job or with a peel) sliced it onto the preheated stone. The pizza just slides off when its done. I also bake most of my bread on parchment paper. It makes it much easier to tranfer a proofed loaf to the oven without degassing it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Senior Cook

when I broil wings or bacon I use a baker's half sheet and parchment paper ,cut so it is bigger than the halfsheet it makes cleanup the work of a moment. I use silpat silicon sheets for most evrything else that is not messy .
btw-- bacon cooks this way without spatter , I keep the fat for my bird suet cakes , if you make suet cakes mold it in a 2 litre milk carton ,then you can cut the carton when cooled into the right size for the suet holder .
It is also useful under cakes and if you cut it in strips and put in a mold for stiff stuff of fudge consistency it helps to unmold.