What's the purpose of parchment paper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
A stupid newbie question. I apologize to bakers and other cooks who keep a constant stock of rolls. What exactly is parchment paper? How does it survive in the oven? Can I use it in the microwave? When is aluminum an entirely different substitute?

I'd also like to ask for favorite nopot papillon recipes, whether in the oven or on a grill, but I want to understand parchment first. Thanks all!

I don't 100% know the answer, but certain items will stick to a baking pan but can be better baked on parchment paper. It may also protect the item from the browning effect of being right on a metal pan, but that's just a guess.

Parchment paper is a silicone treated paper that provides a non-stick surface for cookies, bagels etc.

Foil will not work as as substitute because it is not non-stick.

It is safe for oven temperatures up to at least 400 F. I use it at that temp for bagels. The box tells you the temp limits.

I've also seen people use it to bake faster. They queue up batches of cookies on parchment on the counter. When the batch in the oven is done, they slide the finished batch (parchment and all) off of the sheet pan and slide on the next batch.

I've also seen people use it to bake faster. They queue up batches of cookies on parchment on the counter. When the batch in the oven is done, they slide the finished batch (parchment and all) off of the sheet pan and slide on the next batch.

And that also prevents the cookies from sticking and over-browning in the bottom. I wasn't a believer until I tried it, now I keep a roll on hand at all times. Oh.. BTW.. is these cases, parchment and wax paper ARE NOT interchangeable.

I baked my sourdough dinner rolls on parchment paper the other day, DH (who used to be a baker) did a double take and asked, "Where did you get parchment paper?" He was surprised when I told him it was my second box and I had been using it for years. He thought you could only get it in a bakery.

Parchement paper sure beats greasing pans!

Parchment paper is a silicone treated paper that provides a non-stick surface for cookies, bagels etc.

Foil will not work as as substitute because it is not non-stick.

It is safe for oven temperatures up to at least 400 F. I use it at that temp for bagels. The box tells you the temp limits.

There is a non stick Foil available ;)

And that also prevents the cookies from sticking and over-browning in the bottom. I wasn't a believer until I tried it, now I keep a roll on hand at all times. Oh.. BTW.. is these cases, parchment and wax paper ARE NOT interchangeable.
Hee hee.... that's something I learned on my own. Fortunately only happened once -- over several pans, though.

My favorite use of parchment paper is for pizza. I preheat my pizza stone to 450, form the pizza crust, pop it onto the paper, add toppings then, carefully (a 2 person job or with a peel) sliced it onto the preheated stone. The pizza just slides off when its done. I also bake most of my bread on parchment paper. It makes it much easier to tranfer a proofed loaf to the oven without degassing it.

when I broil wings or bacon I use a baker's half sheet and parchment paper ,cut so it is bigger than the halfsheet it makes cleanup the work of a moment. I use silpat silicon sheets for most evrything else that is not messy .
btw-- bacon cooks this way without spatter , I keep the fat for my bird suet cakes , if you make suet cakes mold it in a 2 litre milk carton ,then you can cut the carton when cooled into the right size for the suet holder .
It is also useful under cakes and if you cut it in strips and put in a mold for stiff stuff of fudge consistency it helps to unmold.

I will repeat what others have said, but with more emphasis.

Whenever I bake, I ALWAYS use parchment now. I line baking pans or sheets for brownies, cakes, or cookies.

When I'm out of parchment, I don't bake. Or I go to the store to get parchment so I can bake. It's so much easier--no stick, no mess, no spray-cans.

You can use the sheets for multiple trays, but I wouldn't save them once you're finished baking for the day.

And the pizza thing is genius -- just through the pizza in the oven, parchment and all.

Tim

NOt only baking, it can be used for chicken and fish. Some people are very sensative for the metalic taste of an aluminum pans, I have few friends like that. If they are comming over and I cook anything in the oven I use parchment paper to line up the baking trays.

I use it for pizza too. I assemble the entire pizza on parchment and transport the entire assembly into the oven. I place the pizza and parchment on a pre-heated stone or on a pizza screen during assembly and no stone. After a couple of minutes in the oven and when the exposed edges of the parchment start to char at 550F I yank the still in tact parchment from underneath the pizza, discard the parchment, and let the pizza continue to bake.

It has artistic uses for cake decorating, using it to transfer images. I think this is Wilton's lesson 1 or 2.

the last box of parchment paper that I bought, tells me to wet both sides of paper before putting it on a cookie sheet.....I've never seen this before....maybe it's a cheaper kind of parchment, do you think??????

the last box of parchment paper that I bought, tells me to wet both sides of paper before putting it on a cookie sheet.....I've never seen this before....maybe it's a cheaper kind of parchment, do you think??????

I never read a package for directions! I sometimes wet the paper to get it to stay put in a pan, especially if it's very curly.

I've used it at school, while apprenticing at a catering company, cooking at a camp, and in my own business for cakes, pastries, cookies, appetizers, everything. I get a new roll or two every time I place an order with my supplier. I have never seen instructions to wet it.

Another use I have for it is when I am IQF'ing (individually quick frozen) for the freezer. I do meat, baked goods, everything and the parchment keeps it from sticking to the metal trays, and from getting frostbite if I forget it for a day or two. I put it under and over the food to be frozen.

I also use it for making meringue and other circles. I trace the right sized circle on one side of the paper, turn it over and spread my egg white or batter on the other, then bake it right on the paper. Comes off nice and clean and perfectly shaped.

I use it for baking cookies,cakes etc. also love to use it for cooking fish in the oven,
layer starting with swiss chard or spinach, red onion, tiplia filets, lemon slices, sprinkling of white wine, olive oil, thyme , s&p wrap up and seal tight, bake 350 for about 30 min.
yummy!
Great with salmon, only use dill instead of thyme

Back
Top Bottom