"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom bought me this one as one of my christmas presents, I have used it a few times and it seems to work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Quad-Tim...=kitchen+timer

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Executive Chef

FMP 4 in 1. It's powered by a 9 volt battery, but accepts a 9 volt dc power supply. I use it with a 9 volt dc power supply cannibalized from a defunct answering machine. Because the FMP has a negative center post jack receptacle, I reversed the polarity of the power supply's jack.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

We're set as well. One on the stove and one on the microwave.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I use the microwave timer all the time, too. And my smart phone. The thing I like about using my phone is it goes with me when I go into another room, so I won't miss the timer going off.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Microwave at my house.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I use the one on the stove all the time and the one on the microwave when I need a second timer. The one that my mom bought doesn't get used as much.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

So many other devices come with timers, it's often enough to use those. That said, I can see the benefit of having a three-way timer when you're cooking a big meal. Just last night I used one timer for both the vidalia onion on the grill and the rice by putting the onion on the grill when I set the timer for the rice. 25 minutes of rice's cooking and 5 for it's resting gave me the 30 minutes I needed for the onion.

I was on my own for the fish.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I use this one Amazon.com: Maverick Professional Digital 3-Line Timer: Kitchen & Dining

Three lines plus a count up. The beeper is loud enough, it is portable and has a magnet on the back and we have metal cabinets.

Love it. Mine will likely get replaced soon as it is starting to break down a bit (the clear button especially) To be fair to it I have used it a LOT.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Head Chef

I've had the original ThermoWorks for two years. I depend on it heavily for baking. I don't know about a pleasant sound. It's an attention getting alarm that I can just hear in the other end of the house. The counter beside my range is of stainless steel that will hold to a magnet, so it's safe from falling off. I've yet to replace the batteries, and I sometimes forget and leave it on for days.

Amazon.com: ThermoWorks The Original Cooking Thermometer/Timer: Kitchen & Dining

For just routine timing, there's a GraLab kitchen timer that quick and simple to set and plenty loud if I'm away from the kitchen.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! So far the Oxo timer seems to be working pretty well. The sound is loud enough to hear in the other room but not irritating. I also like that the beep sound changes after it has reached the set time. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it is a bit imbalanced in terms of the placement of the bottom buttons.