What's your favorite microplane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking to buy myself a new kitchen tool. This time it a microplane grater.

You know, the long thin kind that GREAT for zesting, ginger etc.

For those of you that use them which brand did you buy.
What do you like or not like about it.

And....does size matter?

The answer is "I don't know" to most of your questions but I prefer the kind with a handle and a guard. They are all basically the same I do believe.

I have several and don't recall what brand they are. Don't think the name is even marked on them anywhere either. One of the 12-inch ones has a FINE grating surface. Another one, the same size, has half that is FINE and the other half about twice as large. I also have a microplane box grater I really like.

They all get used on a regular basis and the surfaces used depends on the required task.

I have the Microplane with handle. I have found that, if I use it with the rolled side up and the fruit in my left hand, I don't have the mess, and it is easier to clean. It seems awkward at first, but it works for me.

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll see what looks and feels good and get one or maybe two.

Off to my favorite kitchen store :)

I just got one at William Sonoma when they first came out on the market. It still works great!

college_cook said:
I bought the Microplane brand; I think they're a little sturdier than the others. I got the one that's about 7 " long and an inch wide.

I think that's the length of mine. They now come with a slide-on cover to help protect your hands and fingers when not in use.

have y'all seen the new microplane v-slicer? now, THAT is my next buy at bed, bath, & beyond.

you won't get a microplane unless you buy the microplane brand. SIze and shape depends on what you are comfortabel with and need...I have several sizes...a very small one for spices like nutmeg, and standard long one with handle for most items, and a shorter and courser cut one with handle for hard cheeses...makes lovely slivers for salads soups, and pasta.

Microplanes are cheaper at the hardware store. They might not have every size the kitchen store does, but they are in the hardware store because they were originally used for woodworking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom