"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #41
Executive Chef

I've always seen the microplane used so that the zest falls down, but the other day I saw someone use it so that the zest stays inside the lip - she was able to dump it right into a spoon and measure. I've been doing like that ever since then. I love my microplane also.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #42
Head Chef

One of my favorites is one of the simplest. The flat metal 'scooper' to get whatever you just chopped like onions, garlic etc. and transfer it to bowl or pot.
And to be fair, love gadgets and would have every one going if I just had a thousand or so more square feet!
1. Large cake lifter.
2. Baking strips (what a difference they make)
3. Microplane shredder
4. Offset spreader. (don't know if thats the correct name but it's long narrow and offset and is great for frosting.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

I would have to say my " V " slicer from BORNER, it is a german made mandolin with several different blades for slicing or julianne cuts. Benriner also makes a great mandoline that actually makes a very fine julianne. It makes great long thin strands of almost any veggie. Great for garnishing.

I also have a little ceramic grater that is great for grating fresh ginger.

I cant forget the " SILPAT " for bakeing anything and it wont stick.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #44
Master Chef

I just recently purchased most of these or got them for Christmas.

1. mini food chopper
2. microplane zester
3. electric garlic roaster
4. Hand carved wooden soup spoon
5. Silcone muffin pan
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Oh Goodness, I love kitchen gadgets. I even have a pickle/olive plucker with little expanding wires that makes it easy to get a pickle out of the jar. It's great for parties...people always get a good laugh out of it. It also works extremely well.
One of my favorite things is an old fashioned church key (cheap bottle bottle opener that they used to giver away at liquor stores, back when you had to really open your beer. I use the pointed can opener end (used to pierce the lids of things like evaporated milk), turning it upside down, to pop the seal on jars so I can open them more easily.
I have some old wooden handled meat forks from my grandmother that are much smaller than what you ordinarily see, and I use them for all sortws of things. I also have a pair of her stainless steel tongs that hang on better than any others I've ever used.
Love my baby food processer for chopping herbs...sure beats lugging out the big one. But the big one is a real cherry. My ex-MIL bought it for me when they first came out, almost 30 years ago. It weighs a ton, but it still does a great job.
We don't use the blender much, but when it's Margarita time, It's invaluable. Last May, we had a bunch of fresh strawberries, and after we'd had our fill of shortcake, it was party time.
One thing I'd really like to have is a mandoline, but my safety record with a knife is very poor, so my husband thinks it's a bad idea.

All in all, it's hard to pick my favorite gadget, because I use most everything I have...and I have a LOT!
But, I'd have to say my churchkey, electric can opener (tall, called the "Penguin", big stainless steel spoons and ladles, small acrylic spoons (the wooden ones are so germy), pairing knives, and Santoku knife (like Racheal's) are the ones I use most.
Ooops! Forgot the cutting boards. I've replaced the wooden ones with acylic for sanitary reasons, using a specified one for meats. They are about worn out now, and I need new ones.
My husband bought a great big cutting board that is made of some new miracle substance that looks like marble and is very heavy. We use it for carving the big hams, turkeys and pork butts. It doesn't even have any knife marks on it...I think it's going to last forever.

I have to agree with you, Constance.

I'm also a sucker for small kitchen gadgets, especially the Oxo products. But i don't know which one that i like the best, since I use them all, and they are very convenient.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #46
Cook

1. Hot Shot... I'm a tea fanatic... things would take a long time without my hot shot.
2. I have this large and heavy wooden spoon I use for all my bread making that needs a spoon. I used to snap them left and right before I found this heavy one.
3. Ginseng cooker. This is a small little ceramic doubgle boiler basicly. It is used for herbs and teas.. and of course Ginseng...

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #47
cartwheelmac

Probably our Kitchen Aid mixer!

Cameron
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #48
Head Chef

My lever action corkscrew (Like the wait staff use)...

John
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #49
Chief Eating Officer

I do not know what my problem is ronjohn, but I have NEVER been able to get the hang of those. I just can't get them to work for me
Old 01-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
My lever action corkscrew (Like the wait staff use)...

John
I like this tool as well. I allows me to get closer to my wine. I still use an inexpensive version I picked up in a shop during a trip to the Sonoma Valley some years ago. I like that it has a built-in foil cutter.

My SO uses one of those openers with the wings you push down on. It always leaves the foil in shreds and then she tries to pick off enough of the foil to pour the wine.

I'm curious about theose Rabbit type openers. Does anyone have any experience with them?